'Tis the Season...to Prevent Bike Theft
Did you know that theft of bicycles on campus is somewhat seasonal? Thefts tend to increase in the month or so prior to the end of academic breaks, according to the UK Police Department.
One issue is that bicycles are relatively easy to steal unless they’re properly locked. Keep your bike safe by following these best practices:
- Always lock your bicycle with a U-lock or another high-security bike lock, no matter how long you intend to leave it. If you don’t know how to lock your bike properly, watch this YouTube video for details. Bikes should be locked through the frame.
- Lock your bike to a bike rack when you’re on campus. If it’s locked to anything else (trees, handrails, benches, etc.) it risks impoundment. See this map for a list of campus bike rack locations.
- Record your bicycle’s make, model, and serial number. Keep a photo of it with any distinguishing stickers, decals, or damage.
- If you see someone acting suspiciously around bike racks, call the UK Police Department at 859-257-UKPD (8573).
- Stop by Wildcat Wheels Bicycle Library to talk with experienced staff and learn their tips and tricks for keeping your bike safe on campus.
Bicycles that have been abandoned are also more likely to be stolen. If you brought a bike to campus this fall but haven’t used it, please consider taking it home over winter break.
If you regularly use your bike and would like to leave it on campus over the break, consider taking advantage of free holiday storage at Wildcat Wheels Bicycle Library (WWBL). WWBL is located on the first floor of Blazer Dining. At Wildcat Wheels, your bike will be in a secure location and out of the weather, so it will be safe for when your return.
Bikes will be accommodated on a first-come, first-served basis starting on Monday, Dec.13. You must have a UK bicycle permit to participate in the WWBL holiday bike storage program. If you don’t already have one, WWBL staff will issue free permits during bicycle drop-off days. Wildcat Wheels is open 2-6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Bicycles stored at WWBL must be picked up by Friday, Jan. 14, or they will begin incurring a storage fee of $2.50 per day.
Another option for storing your bicycle on campus over the break is UK’s Indoor Bike Room, located in the Healthy Kentucky Research Building. The indoor bike room is open to UK students and employees and has parking available for 60 bicycles. This secure room is accessible by key card access, which must be granted based upon an application. Visit this page to request a spot!
Is Your Bike Missing?
If you believe your bike has been stolen, there are several steps you should take:
- File a police report with the UK Police Department
- Post on the Community Stolen Bike Registry
- Post on local cycling Facebook pages, such as Social Cycling and LexRides, along with a photo and description
If you need transportation in the meantime, check out a bike for free from WWBL.
For more information on bicycling safety and resources, visit our website, UK Transportation Services, and subscribe to our Bike E-News.
UK Transportation Services strives to improve the quality of life on campus by offering responsive, sustainable and reliable access to infrastructure and mobility solutions. To learn more about transportation options, follow Transportation Services on Twitter @UKParking, or visit us online at www.uky.edu/transportation.