Frequently Asked Questions - BluPass Questions
- What is BluPass and how does it work?
- When will BluPass begin?
- Do I need to update my Wildcard ID in order to use BluPass?
- Is BluPass limited to campus Lextran routes?
- I’m not sure if Lextran is convenient for my commute. Where can I find their routes?
- What are the benefits of BluPass?
- Is the BluPass program available year round?
- Are Lextran buses wheelchair accessible?
- I would like to start using BluPass for my commute. How can I cancel my parking permit?
- Is riding the bus safe?
- I am a Bluegrass Community and Technical College Student who lives in a UK residence hall and has a BCTC Wildcard ID. Can I take advantage of BluPass?
What is BluPass and how does it work?
BluPass is a partnership between the University of Kentucky and Lextran allowing all UK students, faculty and staff to ride any Lextran bus route free of charge, simply by showing their Wildcard ID.
When will BluPass begin?
BluPass began July 1, 2015. On April 19, 2016, Transportation Services announced that the partnership would continue through June 2019.
Do I need to update my Wildcard ID in order to use BluPass?
No, all current Wildcard IDs will be accepted for free rides on Lextran buses via the BluPass program. Simply show your ID to the driver when you board the bus.
Is BluPass limited to campus Lextran routes?
No, BluPass means that UK students, faculty and staff have free, unlimited rides on all 21 Lextran routes.
I’m not sure if Lextran is convenient for my commute. Where can I find their routes?
Lextran routes may be found at www.lextran.com/routes.
What are the benefits of BluPass?
In addition to the immediate personal savings associated with reduced vehicle operating and parking costs, participation in the BluPass program also contributes to reduced road congestion and environmental impact. Members of the campus community are also encouraged to combine mass transit and biking. All Lextran buses are equipped with a bike rack.
The BluPass program is funded by UK Transportation Services as a proactive effort to decrease single occupancy vehicle use, give members of the UK community more choices in transportation options and to ultimately reduce campus parking demand.
Is the BluPass program available year round?
The BluPass program is available year-round through June 2019.
Are Lextran buses wheelchair accessible?
Yes, the Lextran fleet is 100% lift-equipped. Lextran’s current lift systems can accommodate up to 800 pounds and incorporate a special lift barrier and belt for maximum safety. All buses have 4-point tie downs and most have shoulder belts that control forward and side movements.
I would like to start using BluPass for my commute. How can I cancel my parking permit?
You will need to return the permit either in person or by mail to Transportation Services in the Press Avenue Garage (721 Press Avenue). If you choose to return your permit in person, the office is open 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Once the returned permit has been processed, PTS will either issue you a pro-rated refund or stop payroll deduction for your permit, whichever is applicable in your situation.
Is riding the bus safe?
Absolutely. Lextran has a number of safety measures in place to help you feel at ease.
- Most Lextran buses have cameras onboard for safety and security, and a team of dedicated police officers are available 72 hours a week monitoring key locations.
- Automatic vehicle locator (AVL) & GPS technology helps Lextran dispatchers pinpoint the exact location of each bus, while on-board passenger counters give them real-time rider numbers.
- All drivers go through extensive training in a wide range of areas, in addition to all holding a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL). Drivers also periodically go through refresher training, where the topics vary based on trends within the fleet.
If you’re feeling unsure about which bus to take or how to navigate the bus system, recruit a friend to be your “bus buddy” for your first few trips.
I am a Bluegrass Community and Technical College Student who lives in a UK residence hall and has a BCTC Wildcard ID. Can I take advantage of BluPass?
Unfortunately, no. Only UK Wildcard IDs may be used for BluPass.