- How Do I?
- Add Student To Degree List
- College and Department Rules
- Create Senate Proposal
- Ex Officio Voting Rights
- Faculty-Related Links
- Faculty's Evaluation of the President
- Learn About University Senate
- University Senate Rules
- University Ad Hoc Committees
- Newsletter Archives
- Deans & Chairs
Meeting of the:
Wednesday, June 11, 2014
Agenda is Below:
The location for the June retreat is the Thoroughbred Club, at 3555 Rice Road.
Break (10:45 - 11:00)
Lunch (12 - 1:00 pm)
- Informal Breakfast (8 - 9 am)
- Welcome and Retreat Overview (9 - 9:15 am)
- Relations between Senate Council and Fellow Faculty (9:15 - 10:45 am) (PDF) Some discussion points:
- How can we make the relations less antagonistic and more collaborative?
- Can there be more transparency in the review process?
- What tone should we try to set at SC meetings when guests are present?
- How can we feel 'safe' about speaking freely about a proposal with invited guests present?
- Should we vote at the end of meeting? Should we adopt electronic voting?
- Can we do a better job anticipating potential problems during a meeting by contacting a proposer in advance? Or a senate committee chair in advance?
- Getting the Best Senators (11 - noon) Some discussion points:
- University service compensation.
- University service 'requirement', e.g. in tenure & promotion guidelines.
- Compensation and reward for Senate committee chairs.
- Senate Committee Structure. (1 - 1:45 pm) (PDF) Some discussion points:
- Do we need all these committees?
- How do committees fit with parallel university initiatives?
- Are there essential committees that currently don't do anything?
- Should all committees report to SC/Senate at least once a year?
- How do we identify excellent chairs?
- How do we get the right senators/faculty on the right committee?
- Provost Office News (1:45 - 2 pm)
- Provost Report (PDF)
- Strategic Plan (Emphasis on Academic Policy - Goal 1, Goal 2 & Goal 3): Wally Ferrier, Chair of Senate's Academic Planning and Priorities Committee (2 - 3:00 pm)