MenuMenu Image

Withdraw from a Course - Personal Dificulties

I want to stop taking a course I am taking right now and it’s after the middle of the semester. I want to leave because of something urgent that is not related to my coursework or grades in the course, like illness or financial problems.

A student can withdraw from a class after midterms for urgent non-academic reasons (Illness or injury of the student; serious personal or family problems; serious financial difficulties; or having excused absences in excess of one-fifth of the class contact hours in a course where attendance is required or is a part of the grade. This is called a “permissive withdrawal.”

To take advantage of the permissive withdrawal process, please visit your college dean’s office. The folks there can walk you through the process.

If you are stressed out or want someone to talk to, please contact UK's Counseling Center for more information by phone at (859) 257-8701 or visit their website at