D. Stephen Voss
Grants, Awards and Memberships
- 2003 UK Alumni Associate Great Teacher Award, given to only six (6) faculty members university-wide per year
- National Science Foundation grant #9985999, the
Federal Elections Project,
$140,000 (Summer 2000-Summer 2001). Co-PI with David
at American University (UK share: $50,607).
- UK Arts & Sciences Teacher of the Month, March 2002.
- UK Faculty Summer Research Grant (1999, 2001)
- Several Derek Bok Center Certificates of Distinction in Teaching, only given to 20% of Harvard teaching fellows.
- Mellon Dissertation Completion Fellowship (1995-96).
- Mellon Dissertation Research Fellowship (Summer 1994).
- Schoen and Green Memorial Fellowship, Harvard University
grant for the study of politics and political history (1990-91).
- Paul Solis Top Scholar award, LSU Alumni Federation, Greater New Orleans Chapter (1990).
- Kappa Tau Alpha Top Scholar Award, Louisiana State University (1990).
- William Randolph Hearst national journalism competition:
sixth in sports writing and 10th in editorial writing (1990).
- Society of Professional Journalists, first-place regional award
for spot news reporting (1990).
Member of the following PROFESSIONAL AND HONORARY GROUPS:
Service to the University of Kentucky
SERVICE TO THE DEPARTMENT
- POLITICAL SCIENCE UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM
Director of Undergraduate Studies (2005 - present)
Co-Director of Undergraduate Studies (2004-2005)
Assistant Director of Undergraduate Studies (2003-2004)
Undergraduate Program Committee member (1998-present)
- ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEMBER
Jack East, ABD (Chair)
Mandi Bates Bailey, ABD
Tom Martin, ABD
Erik Weinberg, 2006 ABD (History)
Cyrus Karimian, 2006 M.A.
Jeffrey A. Fine, 2006 Ph.D.
David Prince, 2006 Ph.D.
Maurey Bond, 2006 M.A.
Antonio Scott Thompson, 2006 Ph.D. (History)
James “Mac” Avery, Ph.D.
Kihong Eom, Ph.D.
- SEARCH COMMITTEE MEMBER
American Institutions (Fall 2006)
Judicial Politics (Fall 2006)
International Relations (Fall 2006)
Chair search (Fall 2006)
American Politics senior search (2001)
American Politics senior search (2000)
- TEACHING MENTOR
Ridvan Peshkopia (Fall 2006, Spring 2006, Fall 2005)
Donald Darmsteadt (Fall 2006, Spring 2006, Spring 2005)
Ramesh Sharma (Fall 2006)
Mike McKee (Summer 2006)
Adam Butz (Fall 2005)
Kirill Bumin (twice)
Hanbeom Jeong (twice)
Jeffrey Fine (twice)
- FACULTY MERIT EVALUATION REVIEW (FMER) COMMITTEE
- Other Departmental Positions
Internship Director (2005)
Publicity Coordinator (roughly 1999-2002)
Acting Instructor, PS 101, class abandoned by TA (2001)
SERVICE TO THE COLLEGE
- A&S EDUCATIONAL POLICY COMMITTEE
Chair (2006 - present)
Member (2004 - present)
Member, Area B Curriculum Committee (2003 - 2004)
- AMERICAN STUDIES PROGRAM
Acting Director (2005-2006)
Steering Committee Member (2003-present)
Representative on Interdisciplinary Program Committee (2005-2006)
- SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEES
Arts & Sciences Scholarship Committee (2004-2006)
T. Marshall Hahn, Jr., Graduate Fellowship Selection Committee (2005)
- UK College of Arts and Sciences MERIT WEEKEND
SERVICE TO THE UNIVERSITY
- AWARD COMMITTEES AND JUDGE PANELS
Singletary Service and Leadership Award Committee (2003-2006)
Oswald Undergraduate Research Award Committee (2003)
UK Homecoming Queen competition interviewer (2002)
UK Homecoming King competition interviewer (2001)
- FACULTY SENATE
- FACULTY ADVISOR
Phi Alpha Delta pre-law fraternity (2004-present)
UK Liberty Club
Mayoral Candidate Debate (Fall 2006)
G-PAC SGA Presidential Candidate Debate (Spring 2006, Spring 2005)
Showing of Steven Greenstreet’s “This Divided State” documentary (April 2005)
Presidential election debate between the UK College Democrats and Republicans (Fall 2004)
Cats’ Den showing of Michael Moore’s “Fahrenheit 9/11” (Fall 2004)
- University-Affiliated CONFERENCES AND SYMPOSIA
Commentator, “History of Race Relations in 1940s US,” Fifteenth Annual Bluegrass Symposium
Panelist, “Education Beyond Brown: Future Perspectives,” UK President’s Commission on
Diversity and African American Studies and Research Program (2004)
Panelist, campus NAACP forum, “Affirmative Action Under Siege” (2003)
Chair and Discussant, National Council on Undergraduate Research (2001)
Presenter, “Discrete Variable Analysis,” Quantitative Methods Committee in the Social and
Panelist, Gaines Center forum on the 2000 elections (2000)
- GUEST SPEAKER
Fayette County Chapter of UK Alumni Association (2004)
Clark County Chapter (23 Sept 2004)
Sorority Rush, “Surviving UK Academics” (2002)
Lexington Catholic English class (2001, 2002)
Bryan Station H.S. political science class (9/11/2001!!!)
- EMERGING LEADER INSTITUTE
Presenter (Fall 2005)
Presenter (Spring 2005)
Presenter (Fall 2004)
- UK PRESIDENT'S COMMISSION ON DIVERSITY
Member (2003 - 2006)
Chair, Campus Environment Subcommittee (2004 - 2005)
Contact for UK Public Relations (2000-present, but especially during 2002 elections)
Three times a guest on Sue Wiley show during 2004 elections
Guest on KISS-FM radio show during 2004 elections
Interviewee for political journalists (1998-present)
Back to curriculum vitae
Back to Home Page
Thanks for visiting! My email:
email@example.com Page last updated 11 December 2006