Human Resources Policy and Procedure
Number 15.0: Reinstatement
The University recognizes that former regular staff employees with a full-time equivalent (FTE) of 0.5 or greater may be recalled or rehired to a University position or may elect to reapply for University employment. Under certain conditions defined within this policy and within one year (365 days) from the date of separation, a recalled, rehired or reemployed employee shall have certain benefits reinstated to them.
An employee “laid off” shall be eligible for recall by the department. To be eligible for reinstatement, the recalled employee shall return to the same position within one year of the layoff date.
To be eligible for reinstatement of benefits an employee must have had satisfactory performance and continuous employment for at least two years upon leaving the University, have voluntarily left the University in good standing and return to University employment within one year (365 days) of the last date of employment. Reinstatement of benefits shall be as follows:
[Example: If the time period between the separation and the reemployment is four months, an original employment date of April 4, 1997 would be adjusted to August 4, 1997.]
4) A recalled, rehired or reemployed employee shall have benefits reinstated as follows:
The salary of a recalled or rehired employee shall be in accordance with Human Resource Policy and Procedure (HRP&P) 30.0 Compensation Administration
Determination of the eligibility for reinstatement of benefits for a recalled, rehired, or reemployed employee is the responsibility of the Associate Vice President of Human Resources, or designee.
1) The Human Resources Office of Employment (Employment Office) shall determine the eligibility of a former employee to be reinstated as recalled, rehired or reemployed.
2) The department head or designee is responsible for activating the employee in the University’s centralized resource information system. A memorandum to the Associate Vice President of Human Resources shall accompany the Payroll Authorization Record (PAR) print screen and shall request approval of reinstatement of benefits and, if necessary determination of a service date.
3) The Human Resources Office of Compensation shall verify and approve eligibility for reinstatement.
4) The employing department shall reestablish leave records on the basis of the approved reinstatement in conjunction with the Human Resources Office of Employee Relations.
5) The employee is responsible for re-enrolling, within 30 days of employment, in the benefit programs such as life insurance, health care coverage and retirement.
Previous Version (Revision Date - 04/04/08)