HR Newsletter Articles
It’s that time of year again when an endless parade of
office potlucks and holiday get-togethers make healthful
eating seem like an impossible goal. But it doesn’t
have to be. It’s possible to enjoy your favorite holiday
foods without packing on the pounds. Here are some
1. It’s not really about what you eat, but how much you eat. It’s okay to have your favorite foods, just keep your portions small.
2. Think about what you’re eating before you put it in your mouth. Do you really want it? Is it a special food you can only have this time of year? This will cut down on “mindless eating.”
3. Don’t let yourself get overly hungry before a holiday meal or party. Trying to“save up” calories for special occasions usually backfires because you eat more and make poorer choices when you are hungry. Try having a light snack beforehand.
4. Don’t stand near the food. You are just tempting fate! Get your food and then walk around and mingle.
5. Remember that alcohol increases appetite and contributes extra calories. Opt for low–calorie drinks and save your calories for the food.
6. Be prepared for social pressures and learn the art of saying “No, thank you. I’m full.” Don’t feel pressured to eat more than you want. Be assertive and know that there are other ways to be a gracious guest.
7. Bring a healthful dish to share. By doing this, you are guaranteed to have at least one healthful food to eat!
8. Don’t let the time from Thanksgiving to New Year’s turn into one, long eating frenzy! Try to limit your indulgences to the actual day on which the holiday takes place and return to your normal habits as soon as the day is over.
--- Karen Bryla McNees, Ed.D., R.D.