American Heart Association’s University Moving for Healthy Hearts Challenge
YOU can help UK outpace UofL
We need your help! Join us in renewing our institution’s healthiest annual rivalry with the University of Louisville. During the 3rd annual American Heart Association’s University Moving for Healthy Hearts Challenge, which begins April 3 and ends June 11, employees from UK and UofL will compete to record the highest average number of steps (walking, running or other activity).
What's at stake?
At the end of the 10-week physical activity challenge, the university with the highest average steps per participant wins a traveling trophy and, of course, bragging rights. We lost the trophy to UofL last year. Help us return the trophy to the Big Blue Nation!
How can I join and help UK win?
- REGISTER. Or log in if you have participated before. Complete registration details here. Any UK employee, retiree, or their spouse/sponsored dependent may participate. Be sure to submit the AHA Waiver Form (PDF) to 116A Seaton Center or fax to 859-323-4700.
- MOVE. Walk, run, strike a yoga pose, pump iron! Any activity counts! (The AHA Activity Tracker will convert minutes to steps for you.)
- LOG IN. Log in to your AHA Activity Tracker and save your daily physical activities in your Activity Diary. If you don’t record it, it doesn’t count!
- WIN. You will win a prize if you log 425,000 steps by the end of the challenge.
Why should I get moving? Your involvement means a great deal to the University and to our state. Even brisk walking for a few minutes a day can bring heart-healthy benefits, including lower bad cholesterol (LDL) levels and blood pressure. Help us set the right example for Kentucky by showing just how powerful a few small steps can be.
Does music inspire you to get moving? Check out the American Heart Association’s 2013 Fitness station on Pandora to amp up your routine!
If you have not already done so, click here to register for the American Heart Association's Online Activity Tracker:
- Search for and select "University of Kentucky Health and Wellness" as your company. To be eligible to earn prizes, you must check the box to allow us to see your name, department, e-mail address, and physical activities.
- Note: If you participated in another Start! Moving Challenge, the Start! website remembers you! Click on "Login" and use the e-mail and password you provided.
Submit the AHA Waiver Form (PDF) to 116A Seaton Center or fax to 859-323-4700.
You're ready to start tracking. Log into the AHA Activity Tracker. Enter and save your daily physical activities in your Activity Diary. Remember, the challenge begins April 3.
Complete a minimum of 425,000 steps minutes by June 11 and win a prize! Any physical activity counts, not just walking!
Don’t walk on campus? Use the AHA Activity Tracker to map your own route, wherever you walk.
Photos from past events
- Photos from the 2012 Fall Challenge Kickoff Walk, please visit our Facebook page. Check out a video here.
- Check out a video of the Start! Walking Kickoff on April 6, 2011: click here. Plus check out photos from the Start! Kickoff Walk on our Facebook page: click here.