ResNet Support Policy
ResNet is the residential network service provided by UK Campus Housing. Through ResNet, students are provided with access to UK's internal network, as well as high-speed Internet access. In addition, basic digital cable service is provided. Students may add additional channels for a fee by contacting Insight Communications at 514-1400.
ResNet Consultants provide free telephone and on-site technical support to assist students in connecting to the ResNet network, subject to the guidelines outlined in this document. For questions regarding this support policy, please contact the ResNet office at 323-4948 (press 2).
UK Network Guidelines
In addition to the support guidelines established by ResNet, there are several UK network policies that all users of the network must adhere to. For questions regarding these network policies, please contact the IT Customer Service Center at 218-HELP(4357):
- Policy Governing Access to and use of University of Kentucky Computing Resources
- Policy Governing Computer Security and Resource Allocation*
- Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Practices
- IT Security and Privacy Standards
*This document is in PDF format, and requires Adobe® Reader® to view.
Download Adobe® Reader® (external website)
UK Campus Housing residents who would like support from ResNet must provide their own computer that meets ResNet's system requirements listed below. Please note that computers not meeting these requirements may still be able to connect to our network, but ResNet Consultants cannot provide support for them.
In addition to meeting ResNet's system requirements, each computer must meet the system requirements of the installed operating system.
*Most computers come equipped with Ethernet cards. ResNet Consultants can help install USB Ethernet cards for students should they need assistance. Students must provide their own Ethernet cards.
**Supplemental wireless access is available in all lobbies and in the rooms of traditional residence halls, but it is still recommended that you bring an Ethernet cable at this time.
Students may call the ResNet office at 323-4948 for assistance with their connections. At that time, a ResNet Consultant will attempt to provide assistance over the phone. However, if the consultant is unable to resolve the issue over the phone, an appointment will be created for a one-hour time block during ResNet's business hours (See the ResNet home page for ResNet's normal business hours). Students may also use the online appointment request form to request assistance. Please note the following regulations regarding scheduling ResNet appointments:
- Students must make an appointment for work to be completed for their own computers; they cannot make appointments for their roommates, friends, etc.
- Students must be present at the scheduled time of their appointment. (Students who are not present at the time of their appointment are responsible for calling the ResNet office to reschedule.)
- Students must ensure that the computer and all peripheral devices (i.e. keyboards, mice, and monitors) are functioning properly before the consultant's arrival.
- Students must have their operating system or system restore CDs and device driver CDs.
The following guidelines apply to all appointments scheduled with a ResNet Consultant:
- Students must agree to the ResNet Waiver and Indemnity Agreement, to be provided by the consultant upon arrival. This agreement must be signed by the owner of the computer before the consultant performs any work on the machine. No person other than the owner of the computer may sign this agreement.
- Students must remain in the room for the entire duration of their appointment.
- Students must keep the area around their computer and modem free of clutter and unnecessary debris.
- Students must be dressed appropriately while consultants are present.
- Students must comply with all Housing Polices (Undergraduate Policies Graduate and Family Policies).
- Students may have personalized desktops, but ResNet requires the removal of any illegal, inappropriate, or pornographic material on the computer's desktop BEFORE THE ARRIVAL OF THE CONSULTANT. Consultants may refuse service to any student with an inappropriate desktop image.
- Students must remove any inappropriate or pornographic posters or pictures they have up in their room before the arrival of the consultant. Consultants may refuse service to any student displaying inappropriate material.
- Consultants may refuse service at any time if they feel unsafe, uncomfortable, or otherwise unable to reasonably perform their job responsibilities.
ResNet Consultants can only provide support for establishing a network connection. Some things that are not supported by ResNet include, but are not limited to:
- Ethernet-ready devices other than PC and Macintosh computers, such as gaming consoles, etc.
- Networking hardware other than that provided by ResNet such as switches, firewalls, routers, etc.
- Software problems, such as problems with web browsers, operating systems, etc.
- Hardware problems, such as problems with keyboards, mice, monitors, etc.
- Operating systems other than those specified in ResNet's system requirements