Policy # 18.0 Archived Version:
Note: This is not a current version of the policy. View current version. »
The University recognizes a staff employee may be employed outside of the University.
1) A staff employee may be employed outside the University as long as the employee adheres to the following requirements.
Outside employment shall not
- Coincide or conflict with hours of scheduled work at the University;
- Conflict with job responsibilities or affect the employee’s ability to perform satisfactorily at the University;
- Cause an employee to arrive late for, or leave early from, any scheduled shift or work hours in the University job; and/or
- Constitute a conflict with University interest.
Note: Should an unanticipated conflict of interest result from the outside employment, the Associate Vice President of Human Resources, or designee, in conjunction with the supervisor shall, upon learning of such conflict, instruct the staff employee to terminate the outside employment. Failure to cease the outside employment as directed may be grounds for involuntary termination from University employment.
2) A staff employee may perform outside employment while on vacation, holiday or special leave as long as the outside employment does not constitute a conflict of interest with the University.
3) To assure compliance with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations, an employee who has controlling interests (owns at least 50% or more) of an outside company must report any contributions made to a Qualified Retirement Plan, Simplified Employee Pension plan- Individual Retirement Account (SEP-IRA) or any other retirement investment vehicle. Contributions made should be reported immediately to the Human Resources Employee Benefits Office to ensure Internal Revenue Service plan limits are not exceeded.
1) Compliance with this policy is the responsibility of the employee who seeks outside employment. It is recommended the employee inform the department of outside employment.
2) When a supervisor has reason to believe an employee’s outside employment is in violation of this policy, the supervisor shall consult with the Human Resources Office of Employee Relations.