Several media sources have proclaimed 2014 to be the "Year of Mindfulness"...but what does mindfulness really mean?
You can think of it as any experience where you are practicing moment to moment, non-judgmental awareness. In this HealthSmart Conversation, you'll learn how to practice mindfulness through several guided practices - but first experts Carrie Davidson and Dr. Patterson will present a brief background on mindfulness and how mindfulness practices can help relieve stress and promote resiliency. During the practicing portion of the conversation, all participants will be invited to follow along as Dr. Patterson and Carrie Davidson will guide participants through several different breath and sense-based exercises that are accessible to anyone and everyone (but please be aware that speaking is never required and most of the participation does not involve sharing).
Some of the experience and practices gained in the session may include: skilled relaxation, biofeedback, imagery, sensory awareness, gentle yoga and mindful eating, walking, sitting and breathing exercises.
Want a head start in learning more about mindfulness? Check out this recent article.
Health Smart: Conversations About Your Health
What You Need to Know:
The goal of Health Smart is to help you make informed choices about your health and your family's health such as when to seek professional medical care or treat an ailment or injury at home. Become Health Smart and earn a free book! Join us for free monthly sessions aimed at helping you take part in a healthier you. Feel free to bring your lunch.
Health Smart: Conversations About Your Health
Can't make it to the Health Smart Conversation? We'll be live streaming this event with Adobe Connect. Register and you'll receive a link to attend online! After clicking on that link, you'll simply need to login to Adobe Connect as a guest with your first and last name. You'll be able to hear the speaker and see the PowerPoint. You may also interact by typing in your questions, and we'll relay them to the speaker. Problems with Adobe Connect? Troubleshoot Adobe Connect.
- "Unleashing Well-Being," presented by Amy Rodquist-Kodet, MA, CHWC. View the PowerPoint presentation, resources handout and the video.
- "Preventing (or Surviving) Working Parent Burnout,"presented by UK's Center of Advancement for Women's Health with Dr. Aletia Farmer & Dr. Allison Bailey from UK's Gill Heart Institute. View the panel's bios, PowerPoint, resource handouts on stress reduction,making time, and the video.
- "Respect Works: Healthy Relationships at Home, Work, and Play," presented by Melanie Matson, M.A., UK Violence Intervention and Prevention Center. View the PowerPoint presentation (PDF), Resources handout, Video.
- "Train Hard, Recover Harder - How Proper Recovery Improves Exercise Performance,"presented by Trent Salo, CSCS, ACSM-HFS, FMS, Personal Trainer. View PowerPoint (pdf).Video.
- "Prescription Drug Abuse Awareness in All Stages of Life," presented by Dr. Ryan Stanton, Director of Emergency Medicine, UK HealthCare Good Samaritan Hospital. View thePowerPoint Presentation (PDF). View the video.
- "Making Healthy Choices for a Lifetime: Let’s Get Fired Up!", presented by Ingrid Adams PhD, RD, LD, UK Department of Nutrition and Food Science. Click here for the video, handouts, and PowerPoint presentations.
- "Holiday Meals: Creating Healthier Traditions," presented by Cindy Caywood, MS, RD, LD:PowerPoint Presentation. Recipe Packet. Lower Calorie Holiday Menu Example.
- "Mindful Parenting: Everyday Connection & Calmness," View the PowerPoint Presentationand handout. View video of the entire presentation here.
- "The Inner Life of Optimists: Habits, Happiness, and Health," presented by Suzanne
Segerstrom, PhD: View the PowerPoint Presentation (PDF). Video of presentation.
- "Saving Time in the Kitchen: Quick and Healthy Eating," presented by Helen Moseley, MS, RD, LD, CHES. View the PowerPoint (PDF). Handout 1. Meal plan and shopping list handout.
- "Living with Understanding: The Real Scoop on Depression in Older Adults," presented by Phyllis Culp, RN, MSW. Video of full presentation. PowerPoint.
- "Fitting in Physical Fitness" presented by Carrie Davidson, ACSM HFS: PowerPoint Presentation. Brief video.
For more presentations, visit the archive.
Click here to watch a brief video introducing the "Healthier at Home" self-care guide. Learn how the book can help you make informed choices about your health and your family's health. If you already have a book, follow along for a quick tutorial. If not, be sure to complete the quiz after watching the video to earn your book!
About Healthier At Home Book
Healthier at Home published by the American Institute of Preventive Medicine, is the most comprehensive self-care book available. It is the proven guide to self-care and being a wise health consumer. The book is presented in an easy-to-read, step-by-step format, and provides up-to-date information on over 300 self-care topics. It instantly turns your bookshelf into a health information center. You can become the head of your family's medical team. This book comes in full-color text with over 325 illustrations and photographs.
*Note: If you already received a Healthier at Home book, you are NOT eligible to receive another book.