No new appointments until September 3
Thank you for your interest in our counseling services. We will not be accepting any new appointment requests until September 3 as we prepare to welcome two new therapists to our program.
We are excited about their addition. We hope this will reduce wait times for new and ongoing appointments.
In the meantime, below are several options until we're back to scheduling appointments on September 3:
- LiveHealth Online
Online counseling services covered by UK health insurance plans.
- Family Center | REFER
REFER is a professional therapy clinic available to assess individual and family needs.
- Crisis Line
Text HOME to 741741
- Suicide Prevention Line
- UK Outpatient Psychiatry
Work+Life Connections Individual and Family Counseling
Individual counseling through Work + Life Connections is a voluntary, confidential benefit that offers five free sessions with our licensed and certified therapist. All faculty, regular staff (FTE 0.50 or greater), spouses, sponsored dependents, unmarried children up to the age of 26 (or older if disabled before the age of 26) and UK retirees are eligible. Please note that "Family Counseling" does not include couples or marriage counseling. We encourage you to contact the REFER Counseling Service (UK Family Center) for counseling provided by UK graduate students or a local, licensed marriage and family therapist.
The following are some reasons you might want to schedule an appointment for counseling:
- Depression, anxiety, grief and other mental health concerns
- Parenting, divorce, separation or family concerns
- Stress management/relaxation skills for individuals or groups
- Work performance difficulties
- Alcohol or drug concerns for self or family
- Dealing with and learning about new emotional or physical health diagnosis
- Communication issues
- Crisis and grief counseling (for individuals and departments)
Ann Bassoni, LCSW
Work+Life Connections Therapist
Phone: (859) 257-9433
Schedule appt. with Ann
Rhonda Henry, MSW, CSW
Work+Life Connections Therapist
Phone: (859) 323-0665
Schedule appt. with Rhonda
Our offices are located in 203 and 204 Breckinridge Hall. For more information about our location go to UK Campus Map and click on "Find a location." In the Location Search box, enter Breckinridge Hall.
New/first time and returning clients can schedule an appointment online by clicking the blue button above. If you are age 18 and out of high school, you must make the appointment yourself (no one else can make the appointment for you). Please read the information here before using this online option for the first time.
If you are scheduling for a child/teen, please have the last four digits of his/her social security number available when making the appointment.
If it's been more than a year since your last appointment, please contact us below to update your info.
If you would prefer to contact us directly to make an appointment, please email or call us.
New! UK Online option offered by UK Benefits
LiveHealth ONLINE - Connect with a healthcare provider online.Using LiveHealth Online you can visit with a professional face-to-face through private and secure high-definition video on your smartphone, tablet or computer with a webcam. It’s easy to use, private and super convenient. You can get the care you need at home, at work and when you’re on the go.
- Psychology - https://www.livehealthonline.com/psychology
- Psychiatry - https://www.livehealthonline.com/psychiatry
If you are seeking more information about general mental health, you can download the following information sheets:
Mental Health Kit
Mental Health Screening Tools
Taking a screening is one of the quickest and easiest ways to determine whether you are experiencing symptoms of a mental health condition. The following screens are available via Mental Health America:
- Depression Screen - for individuals who are feeling overwhelming sadness
- Anxiety Screen - will help if you feel that worry and fear affect your day to day life
- Bipolar Screen - for individuals who have mood swings - or unusual or extreme shifts in mood and energy
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) Screen - for those who are bothered by a traumatic life event
- Alcohol or Substance Use Screen - will help determine if your use of alcohol or drugs is an area to address
- Youth Screen - for young people (age 11-17) who are concerned that their emotions, attention, or behaviors might be signs of a problem
- Parent Screen - for parents of young people to determine if their child's emotions, attention, or behaviors might be signs of a problem
- Psychosis Screen - for young people (age 12-35) who feel like their brain is playing tricks on them (seeing, hearing or believing things that don't seem real or quite right)
- Relaxation Downloads - Relaxation audio can help guide you to relax. List to audio downloads from a variety of categories.
- Guided Imagery Downloads - Allows you to visualize and mentally practice positive changes and accomplishments.
- Mind Tools - This website teaches 64 skills that help you change your environment to reduce stress and relax when you're under pressure.
- Helpguide.org - Simple tips to get stress in check and regain control of your life.
- Stress Management Blog - This blog discusses common causes of stress and different ideas of managing stressors related to family, work, and being a student.
- 10 New Strategies for Stress Management - This article from Psychology Today details 10 of the best research-based strategies for managing stress.
- Pacifica - Daily tool based on cognitive behavioral therapy, relaxation and wellness techniques. App available for iOS and Android.
- Calm.com - Experience the life-changing benefits of mindfulness and meditation to bring clarity, joy, and peace to your daily life. App available for iOS and Android.
- Breathe2Relax - Learn about and use diaphragmatic breathing, which is proven to reduce stress. App available for iOS and Android.
- Headspace - Practice the basics of meditation and mindfulness with Take10, Headspace's free introductory series. Subscription required for longer and new meditations. App available for iOS and Android.
- Aromatherapy 101: Nourishment From Nature - Essential oils have been used throughout history in many cultures for their medicinal and therapeutic benefits and continue to be helpful in reducing stress and anxiety. Information was compiled by Amy Rodquist-Kodet, MA, CHWC, Health Coach for UK Health and Wellness.
If you are experiencing an emergency call 911 now! 24 hour hotlines are available to assist you with a variety of situations:
- Comprehensive Care Crisis Line: 1-800-928-8000 (24hrs/day)
- Bluegrass Domestic Violence 24 hour crisis line: 1-800-544-2022
- Bluegrass Rape Crisis Center 24/7 hotline: 1-800-656-4673 or (859) 253-2511
- Domestic Violence & Child Abuse Hotline: (859) 245-5258 or Toll Free 1-800-752-6200
- Alcoholics Anonymous: (859) 276-2917
- Al-Anon: (859) 277-1877
- Narcotics Anonymous: (859) 253-4673
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: (800) 273-8255
- LFUCG Division of Police: (859) 258-3600
- University of Kentucky Police: (859) 257-1616
- Fayette County Sheriff's Office: (859) 252-1771