UK Human Resources
Work+Life Connections Counseling
What You Need to Know:
We are a voluntary and confidential UK benefit offering free and reduced-fee counseling with licensed therapists for individuals, couples, and families. Additionally, we offer training for supervisors and departments on topics ranging from managing stress to processing grief to helping prevent suicide. Please see below for how to schedule an appointment with each of our counselors.
Work+Life Connections Individual and Family Counseling
Individual counseling through Work + Life Connections is a voluntary, confidential benefit that offers five (5) free sessions with our licensed and certified therapist. All faculty, regular staff (FTE 0.50 or greater), spouses, sponsored dependents, unmarried children up to the age of 26 (or older if disabled before the age of 26) and UK retirees are eligible.
The following are some reasons you might want to schedule an appointment for individual or family counseling:
- Depression, anxiety, grief and other mental health concerns
- Parenting, divorce, separation or family concerns
- Stress management/relaxation skills
- Work performance difficulties
- Alcohol or drug concerns and assessments for self or family
- Dealing with and learning about new emotional or physical health diagnosis
- Communication issues
- Crisis and grief counseling (for individuals and departments)
Ann Bassoni, LCSW
Work+LIfe Connections Therapist
Phone: (859) 257-9433
Phone: (859) 257-8763
Returning clients can now schedule appointments online. Please read the information here before using this new online option for the first time.
Work+Life Connections Marriage and Couples Counseling
Marriage and couples counseling through Work+Life Connections is a voluntary, confidential benefit that offers reduced-fee* sessions with our licensed and certified therapist. All faculty, regular staff (FTE 0.50 or greater), UK retirees, and their spouse or partner are eligible.
We use the Gottman Method Couples Therapy approach with each of our clients. The Gottman approach uses research-based interventions and exercises to create a structured, goal-oriented, scientifically-based therapy to achieve greater understanding, connection and intimacy in the relationship. Intervention strategies are based upon empirical data from Dr. Gottman's study of more than 3,000 couples and helps couples achieve a long-term healthy relationship. Each session is approximately one hour, unless otherwise specified.
*Please note that insurance does not cover the cost of marriage and couples counseling and these sessions are not eligible for flex-spending. The reduced-fee rate offered by Work+Life Connections is compared to the out-of-pocket cost a couple must pay per session when receiving counseling through a private or community provider. The reduced-fee rate is based on the co-pay for general mental health counseling for UK-HMO and UK-PPO. Employees who meet certain income qualifications may also apply for counseling based on a sliding-fee scale. The first session with our marriage and couples therapist is offered at no cost.
Gina Alexander, LCSW
Work+Life Connections Marriage and Couples Therapist
Phone: (859) 257-8735
First time clients can schedule an appointment with Gina by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. Returning clients can now schedule appointments online. Please read the information here before using this new online option for the first time.
Please note that the first couples counseling session is free. Returning clients may pay for their sessions by clicking on one of the buttons below. This will allow you to submit your debit or credit card payment via a secure site.
If you are experiencing an emergency call 911 now! 24 hour hotlines are available to assist you with a variety of situations:
- Comprehensive Care Crisis Line: 1-800-928-8000 (24hrs/day)
- Bluegrass Domestic Violence 24 hour crisis line: 1-800-544-2022
- Bluegrass Rape Crisis Center 24/7 hotline: 1-800-656-4673 or (859) 253-2511
- Domestic Violence & Child Abuse Hotline: (859) 245-5258 or Toll Free 1-800-752-6200
- Alcoholics Anonymous: (859) 276-2917
- Al-Anon: (859) 277-1877
- Narcotics Anonymous: (859) 253-4673
- LFUCG Division of Police: (859) 258-3600
- University of Kentucky Police: (859) 257-1616
- Fayette County Sheriff's Office: (859) 252-1771