photo & videos

AP, IB, Dual Credit

Advanced Placement (AP) Program

The University of Kentucky recognizes examinations of the College Board Advanced Placement Program.  A high school senior who wishes to have AP scores evaluated for academic credit or placement should have the results sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admission and University Registrar. UK's code is 1837.  Academic departments have designated the current policy for students who score 3 or higher on the Advanced Placement examinations.  UK does not recognize College Board SAT II Subject Tests for Placement or credit purposes.   

 UK's AP Chart

For more information, see the College Board's Advanced Placement site

International Baccalaureate (IB) Program

The University of Kentucky recognizes course credit earned through the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program. Generally, course credit is awarded for scores of 5, 6, or 7 on either the Standard Level exam or the Higher Level exam. Any student desiring credit must request an IB transcript to be sent to the University.   Course credit awarded through the IB program will apply toward degree requirements just as if the course had been taken on campus, except that there will not be a specific letter grade associated with the course. Instead, a designation of CR – credit – will be awarded and the grade-point average will not be affected.  In some cases, additional curriculum information must be supplied by the student’s high school before credit will be awarded.

UK's IB Chart

For more information, see the International Baccalaureate Program site.

College Credit

The University of Kentucky currently has almost 500,000 established course equivalencies from many colleges and universities around the country.  Please note that if your institution and/or courses are not listed here, it does not mean that credit will not be awarded. Please contact the Equivalency Office at (859) 257-9532 for more information. 

College Credit Equivalency Database 


Dual Credit Programs at the University of Kentucky

Get a jump on your college experience by taking a college-credit bearing course from the University of Kentucky while still enrolled in high school!

What is a Dual Credit Program?

A dual credit program is an accelerated learning program in which high school students receive both high school and college credit for taking a single course.  Courses may be taught in the high school or on the UK campus, depending on how the program is defined by the high school or the school district in collaboration with the University. Students participating in dual credit programs are registered and enrolled at UK as a “non-degree seeking” student and will be advised by UK professional academic advisors in Undergraduate Studies.  

Successful completion of the UK college-credit bearing course means that it will transfer to other institutions as college transfer credit.  However, you should confirm the transferability of your course with your intended college or university.  You may explore what is already approved as transfer courses across the nation by using the Kentucky KnowHow2Transfer website

Please note that currently enrolled high school students who apply to take a UK course do not pay an application fee, however, UK tuition and fees for that course must be paid. Student billing and payment information will be sent to the student’s assigned university email account and online payment is available through the secure myUK portal

Required textbooks and any other required course materials will be an additional cost to the student.   Participation in a UK Dual Credit Program does not guarantee admission to UK as a degree-seeking freshman.

What are the Characteristics of a Successful Student in a Dual Credit Program?

Before enrolling in a dual credit course, students should work with their guidance counselor to make sure the courses fit in their schedule.  By definition, the course should already work in the high school graduation requirements, but it helps to double-check if it works in your Individual Graduation Plan. The general qualifications of a student wishing to take courses through a UK Dual Credit Program are:
  • The student must be either a junior or senior in high school. 
  • Recommendations by the high school principal or counselor must accompany the short form application for admission. This recommendation should include specific information about the student’s potential for academic success in college-level courses. For example, high school students who have been successful at UK are those who have a minimum GPA of 3.5 (out of 4.0) and an attendance rate of at least 90%. 
  • The dual credit status of the UK course should be pre-approved and documented in the student’s Individual Learning Plan at the high school. 
  • For some courses, pre-requisites (e.g., a University placement test score, an ACT or SAT score, successful completion of a previous college-level course) will be required before enrollment in that course is permitted.

What Dual Credit Programs Currently Exist?

The University of Kentucky has partnered with high school systems to create dual credit programs. These partnerships are listed and described on the Undergraduate Education's website. 


Students and their parents interested in dual enrollment programs at UK should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission,, 866-900-GO-UK (or 859-257-2000). High school administrators and district personnel interested in dual-credit programs can contact the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education by calling 859-257-3027. 

NOTE: High school students may apply individually to the University of Kentucky to take college classes here on campus – see more about this dual enrollment opportunity here.

University of Kentucky