Transfer Policies and Other Resources
Transfer Admission to the University of Kentucky
- would have been selectively admitted to UK when they entered the first institution attended provided they have a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 or better for all college-level work attempted. Applicants must also have a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 or better for all college-level work attempted at the last institution attended, provided at least 12 credit hours (or the equivalent thereof) was attempted there.
- would not have been selectively admitted to UK but have completed 24 semester hours or more and achieved a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 or better for all college and university work attempted. Applicants must also have a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 or better for all work attempted at the last institution attended.
Kentucky General Education Transfer Policy
The General Education Transfer Policy facilitates the transfer of credits earned in general education requirements for students moving from one Kentucky public college or university to another Kentucky public college or university. Under this agreement, a student may satisfy the general education discipline requirements at their current college and have that requirement completion accepted at the university or college to which they may transfer.
Students that are "Fully Certified" are considered to have completed UK's baccalaureate general education requirements known as the UK CORE.
Students may also transfer to UK and be Category Certified in up to 5 areas. Students who are Category Certified in each of the 5 areas will be considered "Fully Certified" at UK. Those five categories are:
- Arts and Humanities (AH)
- Written Communication (WC) and Oral Communication (OC)
- Natural Sciences (NS), plus Science Lab (SL)
- Quantitative Reasoning (QR)
- Social an Behavioral Sciences (SB)
The sending institution will indicate, either on the transcript or as an attachment to the transcript, whether the student is Fully Certified, Core Certified, or Category Certified in general education , or if they have completed any of the coded general education courses (i.e., AH, NS, OC, QR, SB, SL, and WC) at their institution.
Fully Certified - All general education requirements are completed (AA and AS degrees guarantee full certification.)
Core Certified - The 30 hours of core general education is completed, and remaining general education requirements of the receiving institution are still required.
Category Certified - One or more of the above categories is complete (e.g., AH Category certification means no additional courses are required in the AH category.)
Course Certified - The category is not complete, but a course will partially fulfill a given category.
Students with AA or AS Degrees
Students who have completed an AA (Associate of Arts) or an AS (Associate of Science) degree from an accredited institution automatically fulfill the UK CORE general education requirements.