Senate Council Minutes - June 5, 2006
The Senate Council met on Monday, June 5, 2006 at 10:00 am in Room F/G, 18th Floor, Patterson Office Tower. Below is a record of what transpired.
The meeting was called to order at 10:10 am.
1. Minutes from May 22
The minutes from May 22 were approved as distributed.
2. Announcements and Chair's Remarks
New Chair Tagavi shared that as a result of Grossman's resignation, the runner up from the December Senate Council election would be contacted to ascertain a willingness and availability to serve. The runner up had been contacted but had not yet confirmed her availability.
3. Discussion - President Todd's 2005-2006 Evaluation
The Senate Council conducted a discussion about the input received from University Senators (both elected and ex-officio) and Senate Council (SC) members regarding President Todd's evaluation for the 2005 - 2006 year.
Jones moved to send the columns on the spreadsheet representing averages and standard deviations for both senators and SC members along with the number of respondents to the Board of Trustees (BoT) Chair. Baxter seconded. The motion passed unanimously in a show of hands.
Discussion continued on the best manner in which to offer a formal Senate Council narrative opinion on the President's performance. SC members decided that, due to the very short time frame in which input was to be solicited, received and collated, the SC would only make specific comments on certain goals/strategic objectives (goal). All the comments received from respondents, however, would be sent forward to the BoT.
There was lengthy discussion regarding the specific input on the evaluation. Motions were made to charge the Chair with submitting specific comments, as part of the SC's input on President Todd's evaluation. SC members agreed that the cover letter for the report outlining the SC opinions for the President's evaluation for the 2005 - 2006 year should include a reference saying that the low response from senators was largely due to the request that input be returned to the BoT chair in seven business days and that the request came at a time when many faculty were concentrating on summer research, work, etc.
In succession, the Senate Council approved:
- The cover letter to the BoT Chair that would cover the submitted evaluation materials;
- The evaluation materials;
- A description of the procedures used by the Senate Council in arriving at its submitted input to the BoT Executive Committee;
- A response to the request of the BoT Chair for input on the procedures for the President's performance review that were prescribed by the BoT Chair on this present occasion. SC members approved including a suggestion that it would be helpful for the BoT to share how the evaluation would affect the President's base salary and/or any "bonus" and how the SC's input would be used. The exact wording would be submitted via the listserv.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 11:53 am.
Respectfully submitted by Kaveh Tagavi,
Senate Council Chair
Members present: Baxter, Duke, Grabau, Jones, Lesnaw, Randall, Tagavi, Thelin, Yanarella.
Prepared by Sheila Brothers on June 6, 2006