Allen City is a Floyd county town about four miles southeast of Prestonsburg on the Levisa Fork at the mouth of Beaver Creek. The area was settled in the nineteenth century and a Mouth of Beaver post office opened in 1854. Further growth occurred with the opening of a Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad station. The Allen post office opened in 1905, probably named for a nineteenth century storekeeper. The town was known as Beaver Creek or Beaver Creek Junction until 1936 when it was named Allen City. The area west of the Levisa Fork came to be known as Old Allen with most new development across the river in what is called East Allen or New Allen. The Allen City population was 229 in 1990.