Burlington, the seat of Boone county, was founded in 1799 as Craigs Camp, named for one of the owners of the land. The name was changed to Wilmington in 1800 and finally to Burlington, probably in 1816. A Boone Court House post office opened in 1807, changing to Burlington in 1821. The sources of the names Wilmington and Burlington are obscure. The town is no longer incorporated and the 1986 population was about 600.