Campbellsburg is a Henry county town named about six miles north of New Castle. A settlement that may have been known as Campbellsville, named for a local family, was established as the town of Chiltonsville, named for Charles Chilton, in 1840 and quickly renamed Campbellsburg. A second settlement grew up east of the old town around the railroad when it arrived in 1869. This lead to the establishment of the town of New Campbellsburg in 1876. New Campbellsburg has since expanded to encompass most of the old town and is now known as just Campbellsburg. A post office opened in the area as Benevola in 1830 and was renamed Campbellsburg in 1840. The population in 1990 was 604.