Whitesburg, the seat of Letcher county, is located on the North Fork of the Kentucky River. It was founded in 1842 with the forming of the county on land donated for the purpose. The name is to honor Daugherty White, legislator from Clay county. The post office opened in 1843 as Whitesburgh Court House. The population in 2010 was 2,139.