Report Ethical Issue
To report an ethical issue, you may call 1-877-898-6072, file a report online, or contact your supervisor/chain of command, through the Office of Legal Counsel, or through member(s) of the Ethics Committee. Click here for details.
Test for Ethical Issues
- Be sure that all of the facts are known and true.
- Is the issue legal? If the person's action is not legal, the test ends here. No one is authorized by anyone else to break the law.
- If the action is legal, does the person's action violate UK policy? If so, unless there are exceptions, the test should end there.
- If the action is legal and does not violate UK policy, does one of the University's Ethical Principles apply to the facts?
- Determine which principle or principles apply and analyze what the appropriate response should be.
Further tests include:
- If you do it, will you feel bad?
- How would it look to other members of the UK community or your family if they knew all of the facts?
- If it passes tests # 2 through 5, but you know that it is wrong, don't do it.
- If you are not really sure, ask. If you think anything may be wrong, keep asking until you get a final authoritative answer that you know is correct and about which you feel good.
Main Legal Office
301 Main Building
Lexington, KY 40506-0032
Phone: (859) 257-2936
Fax: (859) 323-1062
Medical Center Office
317 Wethington Building
Lexington, Kentucky 40536
Phone: (859) 323-1161
Fax: (859) 257-5123