Entry Selection Criteria
Download Entry Selection Criteria (PDF).
The Kentucky African American Encyclopedia will include more than 1,000 entries. Persons may select entries from the subject list or recommend a subject for inclusion in the volume. The following criteria have been established to determine the inclusion of subjects. The 12 topical editors will serve in advising capacity to the General Editors to determine the definition of "significant contributions" to the Commonwealth. The General Editors and the University Press of Kentucky reserve final authority to accept, edit and/or decline submission of any entry or topic.
- One or more of the following criteria should be present for entries of deceased individuals.
- Individuals were born in one of the 120 counties of Kentucky, spent the formative years of their youth here, as well as their adulthood, and made significant contributions to the state, nation, or the world. (400 words)
- Individuals were born in one of the 120 counties of Kentucky, spent the formative years of their youth here, and later moved to a different state or country for part or all of their adulthood, and made significant contributions to the state, nation, or world. (200 words)
- Individuals were born elsewhere, but moved to one of the 120 counties of Kentucky either during their formative years as youths or as adults, spent their most productive years here, and made significant contributions to the state, nation, or world. (300 words)
- Individuals were born elsewhere, but moved to one of the 120 counties of Kentucky, during their adulthoods, launched their careers here, then later moved to a different state or country and made significant contributions to Kentucky, the nation and the world. (200 words)
- Some individuals may not warrant separate entries but could be included in topical essays regarding their particular contributions.
- Entries on non-African Americans will be accepted after careful consideration by the topical and general editors. Individuals selected must have had a significant impact on the social, political, or economic lives of Kentucky African Americans.
- The following criteria should be present for inclusion of places, institutions, publications, and organizations as entries.
- African American places, events, and publications which made significant, social, political, economic, and or cultural contributions to Kentucky or to a particular region of the state will be eligible for inclusion. (400 words)
- African American places and events which garnered state or national attention during historic time periods (e.g. Civil War, Reconstruction, The Great Depression,, World War I, II, Civil Rights Movement, Vietnam War, etc.) (400 words)
- African American institutions and organizations which made pioneering contributions and have historically significant reputations as well as longstanding commitments to service in the black community will warrant inclusion. (500 words)
- African American institutions and organizations with national affiliations. (400 words)
- As per the KAAE Writing Guidelines, entries should be submitted online through the KAAE website. If the writer has no access to the Internet, an entry draft can be submitted to the KAAE office via a typed double-spaced, hardcopy suitable for scanning into a digital form.
To submit images for consideration, please contact the editors by e-mail: