Maxwell Place, built in 1871, is an Italianate brick villa located in the heart of the University of Kentucky campus. Maxwell Place has been the home of 10 UK presidents.
The University purchased the residence, and its thirteen-and-a-half acres, in 1917 for $40,000 and renovated the home. In 1918 Dr. Frank L. McVey became the first presidential occupant of the newly refurbished Maxwell Place. Since that time, every UK President has occupied the home.