Banner Link to UK Link to International Center

Hiring and Inviting International Faculty and Staff

Immigration and Scholar Services Available at the University of Kentucky
International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) provides information and assistance to Colleges and departments as they seek to employ or invite international faculty and staff at the University of Kentucky. All UK departments and centers should consult with the appropriate ISSS advisor before making any offer of employment to a candidate who holds a non-immigrant visa status in the U.S. or who resides outside the United States.

The following visa categories and guidelines are not a definitive or comprehensive summary of immigration regulations or ISSS procedures. They have been prepared to provide a starting point and preliminary information to the campus community with respect to the hiring of non-immigrants.

J-1 Scholar Status
Through the University of Kentucky's Exchange Visitor Program, international scholars may enter the  U.S. temporarily to teach, lecture, study, observe, conduct research, consult, train, or demonstrate special skills. There are several J-1 scholar categories that allow employment or other collaborative opportunities. More info here.

J-1 Visiting Student Status
Students may engage in either academic credit or non-credit bearing courses as defined by their government or UK faculty sponsor. In order to become a visiting student at UK you must ask a UK faculty member to contact the International Student and Scholar Services office to begin the steps to obtaining a DS-2019 form. More info here.

H-1B Worker Status
H-1B employment status may be requested on behalf of international individual seeking employment in a specialty occupation. A specialty occupation is defined by U.S. immigration regulation as an occupation "which requires a theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge and attainment of a baccalaureate or higher degree or its equivalent as a minimum requirement for entry into the occupation." 214.2(h)(4)(i)(A)(1) More info here.

O-1A Worker Status
The O-1A worker status is based on extraordinary ability and allows an employer to petition on behalf of non-immigrants who have a high level of expertise and have attained national or international acclaim in their field. Extensive documentation is required as evidence of eligibility to apply. O-1A process applications are not processed in the University of Kentucky International Center. More info here.

TN Temporary Worker Status
The TN classification was created as part of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) to facilitate the entry of Canadians and Mexicans to the U.S. to engage in professional occupational activities. Only certain occupations qualify. More info here.

B Visitor Status
The B1/B2 visitor visa is a non-immigrant visa for those desiring to enter the United States temporarily for business, pleasure, or medical treatment. The purpose of the visit should be short term, and applicants should have residence outside the U.S. More info here.

Permanent Residence (Green Card)
A permanent resident (often referred to a green card holder) is someone who is not a U.S. citizen but has been authorized to permanently live and work in the United States. An immigrant visa petition is usually filed by an employer or relative. More info here.

Remuneration for International Guests
Each year, many distinguished scholars and experts are invited to
the University of Kentucky to lecture, collaborate on research, or
participate in some type of activity for which payment has been agreed upon or an honorarium is customary. These scholars, who may be residents/citizens of another country, are generally referred to “non-resident aliens” (NRAs). More info here.

Printing your I-94
The I-94 is the Arrival / Departure Record issued by a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer to foreign visitors entering the United States. More info here.