Banner Link to UK Link to International Center

Health Insurance Coverage While Abroad

International Travel Registry

In order to ensure coverage under UK’s international travel medical insurance and evacuation plan, all faculty and staff traveling outside the United States in the course and scope of UK employment or representation should register their international travel with the UK International Center. Travel for purely personal reasons (e.g., vacations) should not be registered. The travel registry allows UK officials to quickly and proactively reach out to you in the event of an emergency overseas, and helps to facilitate the authorization process for claims made in your name to the insurance company. Please visit in order to register.

International Travel Medical Insurance & Evacuation Coverage

All UK faculty, staff and students traveling abroad in the course and scope of UK employment, enrollment or representation are eligible for coverage under the University’s blanket travel medical insurance and evacuation policy. This coverage extends to family members and guests of faculty and staff who may be traveling with them on the same trips. It is a benefit covered by the University, and no costs are incurred by the travelers for the coverage. Coverage is not available for employees or students who are traveling solely for personal reasons (e.g., vacations).  A description of what is offered under this plan, as well as access to the full summary of benefits, can be found at this link.

In the event of a natural or political disaster in your host country, all travelers covered by this policy are eligible for evacuation service. The evacuation service will coordinate any pay to evacuate you to the nearest place of safety, or to the U.S. If you have a security concern or require evacuation, seek shelter as soon as possible and call AXA Assistance at 1-312-935-3542. Then call the UK Police Department at 1-859-257-8573, who will relay your information to the appropriate authorities on campus. Both AXA Assistance and the UK Police Department’s phone lines are staffed at all times.

Work-related injuries, and some illnesses, that occur while abroad on UK business are covered by Workers’ Compensation, and should be reported to UK Workers’ Care. See UK HR Policy #96.0 for more information, or report an incident at 1-800-440-6285.

Contact Jason Hope, Manager of International Health, Safety & Security at, for further information on insurance coverage while abroad.

For travel to areas where war/terrorism represents a substantial risk, long-term disability coverage requires travel authorization at the level of the provost or higher; e-mail approval should be directed to Gary Barksdale, Employee Benefits at Contact Associate Provost for Internationalization Sue Roberts at for further information.