Banner Link to UK Link to International Center

Receiving Financial Aid

  • All UK students who apply to and are approved by UK Education Abroad will be allowed to use their federal and state financial aid for credit-bearing education abroad programs.

  • ​Please note: summer financial aid is the remaing balance of what the student has not used for fall and spring terms. If the student is a full time student they may not have any remaining balance to apply to the program. In most cases remaining balances may be used, but the Financial Aid office must see that the student is enrolled in ISP-599 and obtaining academic credit while abroad. 

  • If students are participating on a program during the summer term students must complete a one page Summer Request form (available to students in late March from the Financial Aid office) and turn that in to the Financial Aid office to notify that they are requesting funds. 

  • If the student is not currently receiving financial aid, they may apply for aid by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available at All students are eligible for either need-based or non-need-based aid programs.

  • If the student is currently receive financial aid, they must first apply to an Education Abroad program. The appropriate Education Abroad advisor can assist the student to calculate the program cost and provide the student with the program budget form that they can take to the UK Office of Student Financial Aid. This form will list the approximate amount of money needed (including airfare and spending money) to finance that particular Education Abroad program.

  • The student must have an up-to-date FAFSA for the period they wish to study abroad. Keep in mind that the 2015-2016 FAFSA application includes the Summer 2016 terms.

  • While the amount of financial aid can be increased due to the additional costs involved in participating in an Education Abroad program, do not assume the student will be awarded 100% of the money needed to cover the costs of the program. Always seek additional sources of funding. A listing of alternative student loans is available from the UK Office of Student Financial Aid. A student may apply for these loans once they receive the e-mail notifying them of the award.

  • It's important to discuss with a Financial Aid advisor how use financial aid funds for participating in an Education Abroad program. UK Education Abroad doesn't want students to come home from an Education Abroad program and find out they don't have enough aid remaining to pay for the next semester.

  • IMPORTANT: The awarded Financial Aid amount is applied to the students UK student billing account at the beginning of the term they are going to be abroad.