Thriving at UK Without A Car
You don’t need four wheels to experience all there is to offer at the University of Kentucky. It’s easy, quick and convenient getting to and around campus, to the grocery store and even home for the holidays by taking advantage of the many car-free choices available.
In fact, less than half of UK students bring a vehicle to campus, a decision from which everyone benefits - our campus, our community and our environment. All students are encouraged to use alternative transportation, regardless of whether or not they bring a vehicle to campus. Even if you do choose to bring a vehicle with you in Lexington, this guide will help you get acquainted with the University’s robust and growing alternative transportation network while your wheels are parked.
Bicycle Information: Learn about UK’s bicycle rules & regulations, bike permits and other need-to-know-essentials for campus cyclists.
- Wildcat Wheels Bicycle Library: Students, employees and departments can check out bikes free of charge for short-term or long-term use. Wildcat Wheels also has an education-based repair shop, where mechanics will assist and guide you while you fix your own bike. Gently-used parts are available in exchange for volunteer time.
- Big Blue Cycles: Students who live in campus housing and sign a car-free commitment are eligible for a free bicycle for a year through this program. The fleet of commuter-style bikes each comes equipped with fenders, a lock, a bell and a helmet.
Bus and Shuttle Information: Learn about mass transit options both on campus and off, including regular routes and specialized, seasonal programs.
- Campus Buses and Shuttles: The free Campus Area Transit System fleet supports several routes serving the campus core during the fall and spring semesters as well as the Medical Center Shuttle, which operates year-round. Free transportation to the campus periphery is supplied through an agreement with the Transit Authority of Lexington, Kentucky, or Lextran. Buses run Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. - midnight.
- On-Demand Night Bus Service: The On-Demand buses provide free on-campus transportation after the regular buses stop running. Call (859) 221-RIDE (7433) to make a pick-up request. The service operates Monday through Friday from midnight - 5 a.m. and Sunday from 7 p.m. - midnight. Calls must be received at least 30 minutes prior to the end of On-Demand Service.
- Bus Tracking: All campus routes - as well as the Red Mile (Lextran 15) service frequently used by the campus community - are viewable real-time on Transloc Rider, UK’s GPS-based bus locating system. Transloc can be accessed at uky.transloc.com and via the free Transloc Rider Android and iPhone apps. Additionally, you may send a text message to 41411 with UKY and the appropriate stop number to receive a message back listing the next three arrival times for that stop.
- Cats Cab: Cats Cab is a late night transportation service designed to enhance the safety efforts of the University and surrounding community in partnership between Student Government and Bluegrass Cab. UK students can ride for free within New Circle Road with a valid student ID. For destinations outside of New Circle, students will pay a discounted fare. The Cats Cab service operates Thursday through Saturday nights from 10 p.m. - 3 a.m. Students must have a reservation to ride the Cats Cab.
- Seasonal Shuttles: PTS offers several free seasonal shuttles throughout the year. These include the free Holiday Shopping Shuttle and the free shuttle to Blue Grass Airport at the start of the Thanksgiving, semester and spring breaks.
- Lextran: All Lextran routes are free with your Wildcard ID, through the BluPass program. Ride to the grocery store, mall, movies and more! Find a ride with Lextran through Google Transit.
- Ride Home Express: Ride Home Express is a University-coordinated charter bus service that travels to as many as 15 cities from UK’s campus during academic breaks. Tickets start at just $30 one-way and $55 round-trip.
Other Alternative Transportation
- Motorcycles and Mopeds: Motorcycle and moped permits are significantly less expensive than those for cars. Motorcycle and mopeds may only park in designated areas; while these areas are not generally as convenient as bicycle parking, they are often closer than other parking options.
- SAFECATS: SAFECATS (Safe And Free Escort For Campus Area Traveling Students) is a safety escort service available to all UK students and their guests Sunday - Thursday from 8:30 p.m. - 1:30 a.m. Students can arrange a free safety escort by calling (859) 257-SAFE (7233).
- Walking: The University of Kentucky's campus is very pedestrian friendly. The majority of campus is within a 10-15 minute walk, and walking gives you all the added benefits associated physical activity.