October 7, 2010
PTS Encourages Cyclists to Share the Road
The University of Kentucky is participating in a new safety campaign along with Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government, Fayette County Public Schools and Lexington Police. The campaign urges motorists, cyclists and pedestrians to "Share the Road."
The Share the Road Campaign seeks to promote safe and courteous interactions between bicyclists, pedestrians and motorists.
Under Kentucky law, bicycles have the right to use Kentucky’s roadways. On behalf of the Share the Road campaign, below are a few tips for safely interacting with vehicles and pedestrians.
- Obey all traffic laws, signs, and signals.
- Always wear a properly fitted helmet.
- Use the travel lane farthest to the right unless you are turning left or passing another vehicle.
- Always ride in the same direction as other traffic and in a straight line. Do not swerve between parked cars.
- Do not ride on sidewalks unless you are a child.
- Use hand signals to alert motorists of your intentions when changing lanes and turning.
- Ride a well-equipped bike with a headlight, taillight, bell, and rearview mirror.
- Wear reflective materials to increase visibility at night.
For more information on the Share the Road program, including tips for motorists, visit http://sharetheroad.ky.gov.
UK Parking & Transportation Services is now on Twitter! To follow news on parking and transportation issues on campus, including bikes, go to http://twitter.com/UKParking.