Date: October 1
Trip Description: Learn the basics of fly fishing in this early fall trip to Royal Springs near Georgetown KY.
- Location: Royal Springs, KY
- Cost: $35
- Registration: August 16 – September 28 at 4 pm (Johnson Center main office; Mon-Fri 7 AM - 6 PM)
- Cost Includes: Group transportation, Instruction, a 1 day KY fishing license and trout stamp
7:00 am: Mandatory Pre-Trip Casting Session at the Lancaster Aquatic Center
9 am: Arrive at Royal Springs
5- 5:30 PM: Return to Johnson center
Mandatory for all trip participants:
- Safety Glasses *Will be provided if needed
- At least 1, 1-liter Nalgene-style water bottles
- Appropriate boots or shoes
- A flashlight
- A sack lunch and snacks
- A small backpack for carrying water, food, flashlight, extra layers, and additional items
Recommended for all trip participants:
- Waterproof footwear
- A headlamp style flashlight
- Check the weather prior to the trip, and pack accordingly - dress in layers (cotton and denim are not recommended).
- Rain gear (waterproof jacket, pants, and pack cover) – even if it’s not in the forecast
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, camera
- Money for dinner at Miguel’s Pizza
Assessment of Difficulty: There will be 5 miles of hiking on varying terrain. This type of activity will require a moderate level of physical fitness.
Environmental Hazards: Risks include, but are not limited to: hypothermia, heat-related emergencies, snake or insect bites, soft tissue injuries, dislocated joints, sprains, strains, fractures, concussions, and potentially death. However, proper preparation and adherence to guidelines will minimize many of these risks. The trip will continue through rain or shine. Participants may encounter wet and/or cold conditions. Trip leaders are certified Wilderness First Responders.