Our Mission, Vision and Values
The University of Kentucky must become a national model for a thriving, public, residential, research-intensive campus.
A campus that:
- Is dedicated to student success at all levels.From undergraduates who are leaving home for the first time to graduate students seeking to discover and impart knowledge to others in academia or private industry, we will prepare our students to collaborate with the world’s next generation of leaders.
- Intently concentrates on modernizing its residential campus while expanding its reach through online programs, a multidisciplinary focus, and partnerships. We believe technology cannot replace the experience of students and scholars living and learning together. Instead, technology emboldens and enlivens the residential experience. We will combine the best of both to maximize the success of students and faculty.
- Places a priority on being a top research-intensive institution. We want our students to have access to cutting-edge research and world-renowned scholars from the moment they set foot on campus—not over a remote connection, but in a lab or classroom, using technology to augment and enhance their learning and research experiences.
- Continues to be indispensable to our Commonwealth while having global impact. We have been indispensable to the Commonwealth for 150 years through our education, research, agriculture, health care, economic development, and service. We will—and we must—remain Kentucky’s indispensable institution.
UK will honor its past and shape the future by continuing to support a vibrant undergraduate learning community, advancing a high quality graduate and professional educational experience that prepares tomorrow's scholars, cultivating a robust research environment that extends and enhances life, developing a strong and sustainable campus infrastructure, fostering a positive work environment for faculty and staff and ensuring that our efforts have a meaningful impact on the broader community we serve.
Our Guiding Principles
Through these focused initiatives and intentional efforts, UK will fulfill the promise we have made to Kentucky, one that honors our land-grant mission and a heritage honed over 150 years of service to the Commonwealth.
- Creating a Vibrant Undergraduate Learning Community
Redefine, aggressively but intentionally, undergraduate education using innovative, interdisciplinary approaches to create a distinctive, premier, affordable learning experience.
- Advancing a High Quality Graduate and Professional Education Portfolio
Develop sustainable high-quality graduate and professional degree programs both within and across disciplines, recognizing that the challenges confronting Kentucky and success with future priorities will require collaborative, interdisciplinary approaches.
- Cultivating a Robust Research Environment
Continue to establish UK as a hub for research and creative work in partnership with industry, government agencies and other pre-eminent universities.
- Developing a Strong and Sustainable UK Infrastructure
Revitalize the core of campus and develop a strong and sustainable financial system to support our students, faculty and staff
- Fostering a Positive Work Environment for Faculty and Staff
Promote a meaningful, collaborative, positive work environment for our faculty and staff by identifying ways to invest in people and to promote quality and diversity.
- Ensuring a Meaningful Impact on the Commonwealth and the Community
Determine the most impactful ways to serve the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and identify outreach and engagement activities that will make a positive impact on our community.
The University of Kentucky is a public, land grant university dedicated to improving people's lives through excellence in education, research and creative work, service, and health care. As Kentucky's flagship institution, the University plays a critical leadership role by promoting diversity, inclusion, economic development, and human well-being.
Mutual respect and human dignity
Diversity and inclusion
Personal and institutional responsibility and accountability
A sense of community