The outreach education component of the EPSCoR Track 2 RII project is to develop and conduct outreach activities and curricula to integrate science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education via the science of plant building blocks and sustainability in the context of Food, Water, and Energy Systems into secondary agricultural education classes and 4-H programs. Our goal is to promote interest in STEM by providing agricultural education teachers and 4-H and youth development county agents with tools to engage and train the future STEM workforce and to promote a broader awareness of the interface between agriculture, science and engineering. It is essential to fuel the STEM pipeline in both Kentucky and Louisiana. Furthermore, we are providing research training opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students at both the University of Kentucky, Louisiana State University and LSUAg Center. For more information, contact Tanya Dvorak, Ph.D., STEM Outreach Education Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources for Teachers
K20alt Authenit Learning & Teaching Curriculum – “Energy Water Bucket Brigade” is a lab to help students discover how energy is transferred to ecosystems.
- K20alt Authentic Learning & Teaching Bioenergy Curriculum – “Planting Fuel: Photosynthesis” is a lesson where students analyze the process of energy transfer between sunlight and plants as they explore the photosynthesis process. Be sure to check out other Agriculture, Mathematics and Science lessons related to food, water, and energy.
- Science News Magazine of the Society for Science & the Public – Check out news and science articles on atom and cosmos, earth and environment (agriculture and sustainability are integrated), genes and cells, math and technology, matter and energy and more!
- There is also a Science News for Students section containing articles and how to use the site in the classroom for teachers.
- The National Geographic website has a host of opportunities for literacy as well as photographs and videos across the disciplines that can be a great resource.
- National Energy Technology Laboratory K-12 STEM Activities Girls of Energy Lessons and Activities and Videos Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students K-12:2016
- The Plant Health Instructor is a journal of peer-reviewed instructional materials, including K-12 laboratory exercises, and teaching scholarship for plant pathology and closely related disciplines.