Big Blue Pantry
Located in the basement of White Hall Classroom Building (room 025) next to the Post Office, the Big Blue Pantry is open to any University of Kentucky student with a valid UK ID experiencing food insecurity or hunger. Students will fill out a short intake form, and their information will remain private. There are no qualifications for access to the pantry other than being a UK student. Follow us on social media for updates on hours and product availability, as well as volunteer opportunities. We operate on donations (both food and monetary). Please consider donating non-perishable foods or monetarily to the Big Blue Pantry.
Campus & Community Resources:
- Swipe Ahead is a program students may apply for to receive meal swipes to assist in meeting unmet dining needs during the school year. Applications are open during the Fall and Spring Semesters. Click here to apply today!
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as food stamps, helps low-income individuals and families buy food at participating stores. Requirements and benefits vary by state. You can click here to view information about Kentucky's SNAP program. This webpage also includes a link to the application. Currently, there are extended SNAP benefits due to the COVID-19 pandemic. You can click here to view more information. God's Pantry has also put together a handy flyer that outlines the income guidelines for SNAP. To view the flyer, click here.
- Additional campus and community resources for food can be found on the Basic Needs website.
What can I find at the Pantry?
- We have canned foods, dry goods (rice, pasta, noodles, cereal), "heat and eat" meals, common kitchen staples like milk, bread, butter, cheese, etc. and personal care items such as shampoo, soap/body wash, toothbrushes, toothpaste, menstrual hygiene items, and shaving products. We also try to keep small quantities of meat and fresh produce, but those items tend to go quickly! The Pantry is typically restocked twice per week.
What to Expect During Your Visit:
- When you come visit the Big Blue Pantry, you will be invited to take one of our reusable bags and fill it with whatever you need from our shelves. Once you have finished, you will weigh your bag (there is no limit) and fill out a short digital survey. All information is kept confidential.
2022 Fall Hours
M: 10:00am – 1:30pm
T: 2:00pm – 5:30pm
W: 12:00pm – 4:00pm
H: 2:00pm – 5:30pm
F: 10:00am – 1:30pm
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions, or for an appointment if our hours don't work for you.
A recent campus study found that more than 40% of UK students experience some level of food insecurity during their college career and the Big Blue Pantry is one resource to help combat the effects. The Big Blue Pantry Gift Fund supports the Big Blue Pantry by allowing us to purchase additional food items from stores like Kroger. You can also donate via our Amazon Wish List! We also accept food donations! Check out our Suggested Donations List for guidance on what food items to donate.