Making an Appointment
You are eligible for services if you are enrolled at UK and paying for a minimum of 6 credit-bearing hours in the current semester (see below for summer eligibility).
If you are not a current client of the Counseling Center, there are two ways to obtain an appointment for an initial assessment:
- Call (859) 257-8701 during our business hours (8:00 AM - 4:30 PM Monday – Friday) and be scheduled for an initial assessment later in the week or following week.
- For a same-day initial assessment appointment, walk into 106 Frazee Hall between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday, Thursday or Friday or 12 pm to 3 pm Tuesday and Wednesday. You may have to wait to be seen so bring homework or other material while waiting for your appointment. If there are several students waiting in front of you for an initial assessment and you are not in crisis, you may be asked to make a future appointment or walk-in on a different day.
- For your appointment, expect to spend about 20 minutes filling out paperwork and 50 minutes talking with a counselor.
Current Counseling Center clients who are in crisis can call or walk in and will be seen (or provided a phone consultation) as soon as possible, between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday. Please ask to speak with the DOC ("Daily On-Call" clinician).
For more on what to expect in the first appointment, go to the Frequently Asked Questions page.
Need Immediate Assistance?
If you (or someone you know) is experiencing a life threatening emergency and/or having a severe mental health crisis please go to the nearest ER or call 911.
If you are feeling desperate, hopeless, or suicidal, please don't wait, someone can help.
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)
- Veterans online chat:http://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention/ or call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1
- During normal business hours from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm if you are experiencing a psychological emergency or crisis you may call (859) 257-8701
We are located in Frazee Hall, on Administration Drive next to the Student Center. Find us on the campus map. Check-in for appointments is in 106 Frazee Hall.
All counseling services are offered to fee-paying students who are enrolled for at least six credit-bearing hours at UK, in undergraduate, graduate or professional programs. Masters and Doctoral candidates in thesis/dissertation status are eligible for services, as are advanced graduate students enrolled in either zero credit hour status or the two-hour residency course (767). During the summer, students must meet one of two criteria: fee-paying students enrolled in at least 6 credit-bearing hours the prior spring semester and the upcoming fall semester; or fee-paying students enrolled for at least one credit-bearing hour during either summer session.
If a student does not attend an individual appointment (including an initial intake) and fails to cancel it by 4 pm of the prior business day, it will be counted as a no-show. If a person does not show up for two scheduled appointments, they will be charged a fee of $20 that must be paid before scheduling another appointment. When a person reaches 3 no-shows, they will be no longer eligible for ongoing individual services at the Counseling Center and may be offered other alternatives such as drop-in workshops and community referrals.
Our records are separate from all other university records. We do not reveal any information about anyone using our services unless that person gives us written permission to do so or unless required by law.
Sometimes it is in a client's best interest for information to be shared with a third party. If you would like for the Counseling Center to share information with specific individuals or offices, the release form (Form is a PDF document.) may be completed, signed, and hand-delivered, faxed to (859) 257-3319, or mailed to the Counseling Center at 106 Frazee Hall Lexington, KY 40506-0031. If this form is faxed or mailed, we may require independent verification from the client that this release is authentic and should be acted upon. Please note if the release should come to the attention of a specific counselor.
For additional information about eligibility, confidentiality, and our Center's general service policy, please click here for our Counseling Center Service Policy (Form is a PDF document.).