NATIONAL FIRST-GENERATION STUDENT DAY, NOVEMBER 8TH
For more information on how to get involved, check out First-Generation Student Advising in BBNvolved.
Monday, November 8 (Shirt Day)
- First-Gen Faculty & Staff Advocate Salute via WRFL
- Monday Mindfulness, featuring Koru Mindfulness with Kayla Gill, 2pm, GSC C201 Conference Room
- Alpha Alpha Alpha Honor Society Virtual Induction Ceremony, Harris Ballroom, 5pm
- First-Gen Conversations: Creating Your Resume, 5:30pm, Gatton Student Center 375; led by UK Stuckert Career Center’s Mark Williams
- First-Gen Celebration Tabling, 11am-1:00pm, Gatton Student Center Atrium
Tuesday, November 9
- Off-Campus 1G Students Morning Meet-Up, North Lime Donuts
- First-Gen Celebration Tabling, 11am-1pm, Gatton Student Center Atrium
- CELT Lunch and Learn, 12:30-1:15pm, M.I. King Library and Zoom: https://uky.zoom.us/j/82483529446
- First-Gen Conversations: Imposter Syndrome: Is it real? Gatton Student Center 331, 5:30pm; led by Dr. Martina Martin
Wednesday, November 10
- Wednesday Mindfulness, I Belong Here Meditation, 2pm, 2pm, GSC C201 Conference Room
- First-Gen Conversations: First-Gen Abroad, an introduction to Education Abroad, 3pm, Gatton Student Center 330A&B, Led by UK Education Abroad
- Undergraduate Research Series: Its more than just the sciences. A virtual exploration of undergraduate research opportunities that extend beyond the sciences and medical fields, 5pm, White Hall Classroom Bldg. 219, Led by UK Undergraduate Research
Thursday, November 11
- CELT Lunch and Learn, 12:30-1:15pm, M.I. King Library and Zoom: https://uky.zoom.us/j/84804988468
- First-Gen Conversations: You Deserve to Lead: How to Position Yourself for a Leadership Role, 3pm. Univ. Of Kentucky first-gen students are outstanding leaders in many ways. Yet find it difficult to sell themselves and their skills in a written application or an interview for a leadership position. Learn how to craft strong applications and how to confidently secure the leadership role (including co-ops, internships, and scholarships) you are seeking.
- First-Gen Conversations: First-Generation Intersectionality, Exploring “first-generation-plus” identities, (i.e., race, gender, socioeconomic status) at the University of Kentucky (First Gen Faculty, Staff, Students, and 1G Advocates), 5:00pm, via Zoom: https://uky.zoom.us/j/84001100878 with Brandon Colbert
- Your Words, Your Voice, Your Story: 1G Open Mic Night, 7pm, Cats Den
Friday, November 12
- 1G Coffee Chat and Advocate Appreciation, 9-10:30am, GSC 201 Cafe
- 1G Encouragement Board: Take What You Need, 11am-2pm, GSC C201
- Graduate/Profession School Student Conversation w/ LGBTQ, CGPDI and BGSU Event, 11am-1pm, GSC C250
- 1G Bingo, 1-2pm, GSC Social Staircase
What does it mean to be First Gen?
Being a first-generation (1G) college student means neither of your parents or guardians earned a Bachelor's degree, regardless of siblings and other relatives. We are housed in Gatton Student Center C201.