Gaines Fellowship Application
The Gaines Fellowship Application is live! CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE APPLICATION.
Please note you will need to have the following prepared BEFORE you begin the online application. All documents must be in PDF format. The online application is due Monday, February 3, 2020.
- A curriculum vitae (resume) highlighting your academic and community achievements and/or engagements
- A brief, well-articulated answer (no more than 800 words) to ONE of the three possible essay questions. These are the essay choices:
1. Humanities are often described as a kind of "luxury"--something to be studied for one's own personal enjoyment rather than something that can contribute to the public good. What could a mandatory study of art, theatre, literature and the like do for us as citizens?
2. Higher education has undergone dramatic shifts recently, most notably in expanded recruiting efforts and growing physical infrastructure (new dorms, stadiums, etc.). How do you feel these shifts have affected the generation of college students we now label as "emerging adults?" What do you believe your role is as a student pursuing higher education?
3. Climate change has become an almost-daily headline in news outlets worldwide. What do you think the humanities, or higher education in general can do to begin to address this growing concern?
- The names and email addresses of two recommendation providers. It is preferred that your recommendations come from university staff/faculty who can speak to your work and personality, although recommendations from non-university community members with whom you have worked closely are also acceptable. Recommendations must be emailed to Associate Director Chelsea Brislin (email@example.com) by the due date of Monday, February 3rd at 4pm. They may also be delivered to 218 E. Maxwell Street in a sealed envelope, if preferable.
- Your unofficial college transcript. Download a PDF of your UK transcript from MyUK. If you have attended other colleges or universities, we will accept Xeroxed or PDF copies of official or unofficial transcripts from those institutions
- The application deadline is Monday, February 3rd by 4:00 p.m. All parts of the application must be submitted by that time.
- Notification of initial screening results will be emailed to all applicants by late February 2020.
- Individual interviews with selected candidates will be held early March 2020. Members of the Gaines Fellowship Advisory Committee will conduct 30-minute interviews at the Bingham Davis House (218 East Maxwell Street), Gaines Center for the Humanities. If you are invited for an interview, you will be given more information about the nature of the interview when you make your appointment.
- All candidates will be notified of the selection results in writing by April 1st, 2020.
Tips and Hints
- Stop by the office if you have any questions.
- All majors are encouraged to apply. There have been Gaines fellows selected from virtually every college at UK.
- The Gaines Fellowship is an opportunity to expand one's horizons.
- Gaines Fellows obtain a disproportionate number of external scholarships won by UK students. Applicants are strongly encouraged to look at these programs!
- If you have any questions, ask a current fellow. They have been through the process before, and will be more than willing to give you pointers on how to apply!