Early Assurance Program
The University of Kentucky Early Assurance Program (EAP) provides outstanding sophomore students in the Lewis Honors College with the opportunity to apply for provisional acceptance into the UK College of Medicine in Lexington. The Early Assurance Program is a two-year commitment. Students apply during the second semester of their sophomore year, and complete the program requirements during their junior and senior year. Students accepted into the early assurance program will participate in shadowing experiences in hospital and office practices, enhanced academic/pre-med advising and targeted preparation for medical school during their junior and senior years. Medical school admission is contingent on meeting all program requirements.
Eligibility Criteria for the Early Assurance Program
Competitive students for the program must demonstrate high academic achievement, involvement in extra-curricular activities, and a commitment to the medical profession. Students wishing to apply for the program must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled in the UK Lewis Honors College (or will be enrolled after acceptance to the EAP program)
- Anticipated completion of the undergraduate academic program and the Honors program in three to four semesters.
- At least 60 credit hours applicable to a degree, either earned or in progress, including:
- Two semesters of coursework in the biological sciences;
- Three semesters of coursework in chemistry, including either biochemistry or organic chemistry;
- Two semesters of college English with emphasis on communication skills such as reading, writing, and speaking.
- A cumulative grade point average of a 3.6 or better in both science coursework and overall.
- Evidence of the dedication, compassion, and personal and professional bearing necessary to be a competent and caring physician.
- Indicated clear interest in establishing medical practice in Kentucky.
- Commitment to participate in all elements of the Early Assurance Program, which is a four semester, on campus commitment.
The EAP application will open for submissions on November 1, 2020. The deadline to apply is February 1, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Once open, the link will be posted here.
In the application, you will be asked to provide three professional references. At least one must be a science department faculty member, the other two can be a combination of science/non-science faculty, professional staff, and/or community contacts who can speak to your academic, professional, and personal attributes.
Early Assurance Program
c/o Czarena Crofcheck
1120 University Drive
In the application, you will be asked to answer the following short answer questions.
- Why are you interested in the Early Assurance Program? (Please limit your response to no more than 4,000 characters including spaces)
- Given that many of Kentucky’s health outcomes are below national averages, the mission of the University of Kentucky College of Medicine is to provide excellence in education, equitable health care and transformative research to improve the health and wellness of Kentuckians. Please describe how your career goals could contribute to this mission. (Please limit your response to no more than 3,000 characters*)
- Physicians can improve their patient health outcomes when they appreciate their patients’ cultural backgrounds. Please describe how your background, life experiences and/or cultural identity will enable you to care for the diverse population of Kentucky in the future. (Please limit your response to no more than 3,000 characters including spaces*)
- Open Response: In the space below, please include any additional details about yourself and/or an experience that you think is important for the committee to know. (Please limit your response to no more than 700 characters including spaces)
- List Extracurricular Activities (Organization, Role, Dates, Description) (Please limit your response to no more than 700 characters including spaces)
Medical School Acceptance
Formal acceptance into the UK College of Medicine is contingent upon active participation in Early Assurance Program activities, successful completion of academic requirements for an undergraduate degree, completion of Honors requirements, continued high academic achievement and demonstration of the personal attributes necessary to become a competent physician. Students must complete their current academic program, including Honors, and be ready to matriculate into the UK College of Medicine within the two academic years following the Early Assurance Program application. Students applying to the UK College of Medicine must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of all prerequisites for the UK College of Medicine
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Cumulative science GPA of 3.5 or higher
- MCAT total score of 504 or higher with all subscales of 124 or higher
- Demonstration of the personal attributes necessary to become a competent physician during College of Medicine admissions interviews
Students must adhere to the following timetable for provisional acceptance to the UK College of Medicine:
Spring Semester Junior Year: Take the Medical School Admission Test (MCAT)
June-July prior to Senior year: Complete and submit American Medical School Application Service (AMCAS) application, applying as “Early Decision”.
August 1st: Deadline to submit your AMCAS application.
September 15th: Deadline to submit your UK College of Medicine Secondary Application.
September: Interview with the UK College of Medicine.
October 1st: Notification of acceptance in the UK College of Medicine.