Skip to main


A Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) is a person or firm registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and/or a state licensing authority as a provider of professional financial management services.

A Registered Investment Advisor can provide investment advice and/or manage the allocation of your retirement accounts, but can also charge a fee for these services. You can arrange for this fee to be charged against your retirement account(s).

A Registered Investment Advisor may provide other financial planning advice or services. Participants should discuss these services and fees with the RIA before making a decision.

If you are a Registered Investment Advisor, please consult this document addressed to RIAs, issued by the University of Kentucky. For a printable view of this document, click here.


Will Fidelity or TIAA-CREF provide me with an RIA?

Each retirement carrier may have a list of approved or preferred Registered Investment Advisors they can provide. UK does not recommend or endorse any particular RIA over another.

How do I use my 403(b) account to pay for my advisor?

You can pay for this service by signing the Fidelity and/or TIAA-CREF Investments Registered Investment Advisor Authorization and Indemnification Form. This form allows you to give Fidelity and TIAA-CREF permission to deduct advisor fees directly from your 403(b) account. To obtain a copy of the form, please contact Fidelity or TIAA-CREF »

How do I get my advisor registered?

To get your advisor registered, fill out the Fidelity and/or TIAA-CREF Registered Investment Advisor Authorization and Indemnification Form. To obtain a copy of the form, please contact Fidelity or TIAA-CREF »

Do I have to use an advisor for help with my University of Kentucky Retirement Plan?

No. Selecting an advisor is completely your decision. Associates from Fidelity and TIAA-CREF will still continue to provide free on-site one-on-one consultations and reviews on a monthly basis to assist you with your retirement planning needs. The University of Kentucky is offering this additional resource to help you meet your overall retirement needs. If you would like more information about this service please contact Fidelity or TIAA-CREF »