Who must complete an I-9 Form:
Forms must be completed in person at the HR Employment front desk in Scovell Hall. Click here for directions. Note: This office is still open during the COVID shutdown.
- All new UK employees (regular, temporary, and student).
- Any former UK employee (United States citizens only) returning to the University after 1 year.
- Non-citizens of the United States who return to employment with the University after any period of separation.
- UK retirees returning to UK in a post- retirement appointment or in any other UK paid capacity (e.g. Through an HR Temporary Employment assignment).
- Post Doc Fellows and Post Doc Scholars
Acceptable I-9 Document Lists:
Employees must provide documentation that establishes both identity AND employment eligibility by including either:
- One document from List A below OR
- One document EACH from List B and List C below
List A: Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization
- Unexpired U.S. Passport
- Permanent Resident Card OR Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph (INS Form I-551)
- Unexpired foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine readable immigrant visa
- Unexpired Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-765)
- In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident status, an unexpired foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form
- Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI
List B: Documents that establish identity
- Unexpired driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
- Unexpired ID card issued by federal, state, or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
- School ID card with a photograph
- Voter's registration card
- US Military card or draft record
- Military dependent's ID card
- US Cost Guard Merchant Mariner Card
- Native American tribal document
- Unexpired driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority
NOTE: for persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above one of the following is required:
- School record or report card
- Clinic, doctor or hospital record
- Day-care or nursery school record
List C: Documents that establish employment eligibility
Social Security Account Number card other than one that specifies on the face that the issuance of the card does not authorize employment in the United States (card must NOT be laminated)
NOTE: The University cannot accept a metal, plastic, or a blue laminated Social Security card.
- Certification of Birth abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)
- Certification or Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)
- Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
- Native American tribal document
- US Citizen ID Card (INS Form I-197)
- Identification Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (INS Form I-179)
- Unexpired employment authorization document issued by the Department of homeland Security