Note: This is not a current version of the policy. View current version. »
Normal operations of the University (except the University Hospital) may be temporarily suspended or altered by declaration of the President of the University, or designee. This may be done so in consideration of unusual conditions, such as severe weather, fuel shortages, or other events.
1) When normal operations are suspended or altered, regular staff employees with a full-time equivalent (FTE) of 0.5 or greater, who are not required to work, will be paid for their normally scheduled work hours. Employees on vacations, temporary disability or special leave(s) will not be entitled to the provisions of this policy.
2) Employees required to work during a period when normal operations are suspended or altered shall
- Receive time off with pay on another scheduled work day, or
- Receive pay for the period when normal operations are suspended.
3) Employees who are required to work during a period of emergency, but who do not report to work as scheduled, shall be subject to corrective action up to and including termination of employment.
4) Temporary employees who work during an emergency shall be paid the normal wage rate for each hour worked.
5) Operations of the University Hospital are essential and remain functional at all times. All employees of the hospital are essential and are to report to work as scheduled.
- Any emergency shall have no effect on the University Hospital schedule.
- Employees of the University Hospital who do not report to work as scheduled shall be subject to corrective action up to and including termination of employment.
The Provost, Executive Vice Presidents, Deans and Directors shall designate essential functions within their areas of responsibility. These areas will remain operational during emergencies.
1) Announcement of a University emergency will normally be made through the local broadcast media, UK TV Cable Channel 16, UK Infoline, 257-5684, or the UK website at www.uky.edu.
2) If an area is designated to remain open, the department head is responsible for preparing and posting employee’s schedules.
3) Authorized absences during an emergency are reported for payroll purposes as working time.