For best results in the challenge, sync your fitness tracking device to its native app (for example the Fitbit app, Garmin app, etc.) every day, or at least every 72 hours. That's all there is to it!
Who is eligible to participate?
- Any UK employee with a status of .2 or greater full-time equivalency (FTE), whether you're full-time, part-time or STEPS is eligible to participate in this challenge.
- UK health plan members including spouses of UK employees, retirees and their spouses, in addition to employees of KCTCS, Eastern State Hospital, and ARMS--and their spouses--are also eligible.
Is there any cost to participate?
No, it's free! To participate you'll need a fitness tracking device/app.
Which fitness tracking device/apps can I use to participate?
Our challenge platform, MoveSpring (by Stridekick), offers cross-device compatibility and supports most major fitness trackers including:
- Android phones 4.1 or above through the Google Fit app
- Apple watch
- iPhone 5s and above through the Apple Health app
- Moves app on any phone
- Fitbit - purchase with your UK friends and family discount
To view more information about compatible devices, go to MoveSpring.
What's MoveSpring? What about Stridekick?
MoveSpring is a fun, easy-to-use wellness platform built specifically for groups, companies and organizations to host challenges using fitness trackers. In 2018 we began using MoveSpring to host official University of Kentucky challenges for employees. It's available as a website and free app for iOS and Android.
MoveSpring is a new product from the creators of Stridekick, a challenge platform we previously used. Stridekick is designed for individuals to host and join user-created challenges. If you created a Stridekick account for one of our challenges in the past, your account is still active—but its separate from MoveSpring.
What are the dates of the challenge?
This is a six-week challenge, which starts Sunday, February 25 at 12 a.m. midnight and ends Saturday, April 7 at 11:59 p.m.
How do I find the registration codes I need to sign up after I download the MoveSpring app?
You'll need our organization code and your unique challenge code to complete the signup process in the app. Log in to your Health and Wellness dashboard to see both of your codes.
I attempted to join a challenge, but I only see a blank screen. What do I need to do?
Please open the link in another browser such as Chrome or Firefox. MoveSpring is not supported in Internet Explorer so their website does not load.
Can I join the challenge late?
Yes, the cutoff is a week after the challenge starts. The challenge starts Sunday, February 25 at midnight but the official deadline to join is Sunday, March 4 at 11:59 p.m. We recommend joining by the start date to maximize your opportunity to earn a prize. Please be aware you'll have zero steps logged for every day of the challenge you missed, impacting your overall daily steps average.
What if I forget my wearable tracker or charger?
Hey, it happens--and unfortunately it means zero steps logged in the challenge while your tracker isn't on. But, there is one workaround--if you have an Android or iPhone, you can treat it as your backup device. Connect your Android phone to the Google Fit app, or your iPhone to the Apple Health app, and then change your device in MoveSpring to Android or Apple. Just remember to change your device in MoveSpring back to your wearable when you can.
How do I join the challenge?
Log in to your dashboard and follow the steps.
How often do I need to sync the steps activity on my tracker to its app (Fitbit, Garmin, etc.)?
Sync your fitness tracking device to its native app (for example the Fitbit app, Garmin app, etc.) at least every 72 hours. See details in the above answer to learn more about syncing.
What happens if I don't sync my tracker to its app (Fitbit, Garmin, etc.) at least every 72 hours?
You may lose steps if you do not regularly sync your tracker to its app. Please see above answers to learn more about syncing.
Do I need to sync (upload) the activity from my tracker to MoveSpring?
How do you earn UK gear in this challenge?
Achieve the goal you selected when you joined the challenge, either 6K, 8K, or 10K steps a day on average. Prize options are the same for all three challenge goals.
Part of this challenge is knowing which goal is both a challenge for you, and still within reach. It's not possible to change your goal after you started.
What's the deadline to sync my tracker to its app (for all final steps to count) after the challenge ends?
There's a 3-day grace period to sync; the deadline is Tuesday, April 10 at 12 a.m. midnight.
When and how will I receive my UK gear?
The week after the challenge ends, you'll receive an email with an invitation to select your prize online using your dashboard. Once you select your prize online, you'll receive a confirmation email. Friday, April 20 is the deadline to select your prize. Pick-up details:
- On-campus and Lexington employees may visit MoveWell 1020 Export to pick up their prize from April 23 to May 31 during Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Off-campus employees located outside of Lexington can select the mailing option while selecting a prize online.
Who has access to challenge data?
Only MoveSpring and select UK Health & Wellness Specialists have access to this secure data. The only information available is your name, steps, image, distance, intensity level and minutes.
Need More Support?
- For Fitbit device or app questions, please review our frequently asked questions or contact Fitbit at 1-844-5FITBIT.
- For assistance downloading Fitbit software to your work computer, please contact 859-218-HELP (UK campus) or 859-323-8586 (UK Healthcare)
- For questions about using the MoveSpring website/app (for the Step Up Challenge), please use the chat icon on the MoveSpring website for online support.