For best results in the challenge, sync your fitness tracking device to its native app (for example the Fitbit app, Garmin app, etc.) every day, or at least every 72 hours. That's all there is to it!
Who is eligible to participate?
- Any UK employee with a status of .2 or greater full-time equivalency (FTE), whether you're full-time, part-time or STEPS is eligible to participate in this challenge.
- UK health plan members including spouses of UK employees, retirees and their spouses, in addition to employees of KCTCS, Eastern State Hospital, and ARMS--and their spouses--are also eligible.
Is there any cost to participate?
No, it's free! To participate, you'll need a fitness tracking device/app.
Which fitness tracking device/apps can I use to participate?
Our challenge platform, MoveSpring (by Stridekick), offers cross-device compatibility and supports most major fitness trackers including:
- Android phones 4.1 or above through the Google Fit app
- Apple watch
- iPhone 5s and above through the Apple Health app
- Moves app on any phone
- Fitbit - purchase with your UK friends and family discount
To view more information about compatible devices, go to MoveSpring.
What's MoveSpring? What about Stridekick?
MoveSpring is a fun, easy-to-use wellness platform built specifically for groups, companies and organizations to host challenges using fitness trackers. In 2018, we began using MoveSpring to host official University of Kentucky challenges for employees. It's available as a website and free app for iOS and Android.
MoveSpring is a new product from the creators of Stridekick, a challenge platform we previously used. Stridekick is designed for individuals to host and join user-created challenges. If you created a Stridekick account for one of our challenges in the past, your account is still active—but its separate from MoveSpring.
What are the dates of the challenges?
You may choose to participate in EITHER:
- the 10-day streak, which starts Sunday, January 6, at 12:01 a.m. and ends Tuesday, January 15, at 11:59 p.m.;
- the six-week average, which starts Sunday, January 6, at 12:01 a.m. and ends Saturday, February 16, at 11:59 .p.m.
How do I find the registration codes I need to sign up after I download the MoveSpring app?
You'll need our organization code and your unique challenge code to complete the signup process in the app. Log in to your Health and Wellness dashboard to see both of your codes.
How do I sign up for one of the options in MoveSpring?
On the Step Up Challenge page in your Health and Wellness dashboard, you will see a link that takes you to the MoveSpring app. After you log in, choose only one challenge to join. Once in MoveSpring, click on the "Join a Group" button where you will see both challenges. Select the option in which you would like to participate.
I attempted to join a challenge, but I only see a blank screen. What do I need to do?
Please open the link in another browser such as Chrome or Firefox. MoveSpring is not supported in Internet Explorer so their website does not load.
Can I join a challenge late?
- 10-day streak: You may not join the streak challenge late.
- Six-week average: The cutoff is a week after the challenge starts. The challenge starts Sunday, January 6, at 12:01 AM but the official deadline to join is Sunday, January 13, at 11:59 PM.
We recommend joining by the start date to maximize the opportunity for you to earn a prize. Please be aware you'll have zero steps logged for every day of the challenge you missed, impacting your overall daily steps average.
What if I forget my wearable tracker or charger?
Hey, it happens--and unfortunately it means zero steps logged in the challenge while your tracker isn't on. But, there is one workaround--if you have an Android or iPhone, you can treat it as your backup device. Connect your Android phone to the Google Fit app, or your iPhone to the Apple Health app, and then change your device in MoveSpring to Android or Apple. Just remember to change your device in MoveSpring back to your wearable when you can.
How do I join the challenge?
Log in to your dashboard and follow the steps.
How often do I need to sync the steps activity on my tracker to its app (Fitbit, Garmin, etc.)?
Sync your fitness tracking device to its native app (for example the Fitbit app, Garmin app, etc.) at least every 72 hours. See details in the above answer to learn more about syncing.
What happens if I don't sync my tracker to its app (Fitbit, Garmin, etc.) at least every 72 hours?
You may lose steps if you do not regularly sync your tracker to its app. Please see above answers to learn more about syncing.
Do I need to sync (upload) the activity from my tracker to MoveSpring?
No, this happens automatically for you once your Fitbit (or other device's) account is connected through the initial MoveSpring account setup. MoveSpring syncs the most up-to-date data from your tracker's account (Fitbit, Garmin, etc.) automatically when you log in to the MoveSpring website or open the MoveSpring app.
What's the deadline to sync my tracker to its app (for all final steps to count) after the challenge ends?
- 10-day streak: There's a three-day grace period to sync; the deadline is Friday, January 18, at 11:59 p.m.
- Six-week average: There's a three-day grace period to sync; the deadline is Tuesday, February 19, at 11:59 p.m.
How do I earn UK gear in this challenge?
By fulfilling the requirements of the challenge option your selected.
- Obtaining 9000 steps per day, EVERY DAY for 10 days.
- Averaging 8000 steps per day over the course of six weeks.
When and how will I receive my UK gear?
You will be notified by email when it's time to claim your prize. The UK gear will be available at MoveWell, 1020 Export St. two weeks after the completion of your challenge. You will have one month to pick up your gear on Monday-Friday from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Off-campus employees will have the option of having the prize mailed to their home address.
Can I participate in both challenges?
You may only participate in ONE challenge.
Who has access to challenge data?
Only MoveSpring and select UK Health & Wellness Specialists have access to this secure data. The only information available is your name, steps, image, distance, intensity level and minutes.
Need More Support?
- For Fitbit device or app questions, please review our frequently asked questions or contact Fitbit at 1-844-5FITBIT.
- For assistance downloading Fitbit software to your work computer, please contact 859-218-HELP (UK campus) or 859-323-8586 (UK Healthcare)
- For questions about using the MoveSpring website/app (for the Step Up Challenge), please use the chat icon on the MoveSpring website for online support.