UK Health and Wellness, in partnership with Mind Body Studio's Dr. John Patterson, MD, MSPH, FAAFP and Toni Reiss of Mindfulness Matters at Bluegrass Yoga, offers Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) programs at deeply discounted rates for UK employees, retirees, spouses and adult-sponsored dependents.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction practices help with:
- Managing stress-related chronic conditions
- Relaxing your body, quieting your mind and opening your heart
- Preventing burnout from work and caretaker stress
- Reducing errors and accidents at work and home
What happens in an MBSR class? We'll help you develop your own portable tool kit of safe and effective mind-body skills, including:
- Skilled relaxation
- Body scan
- Guided imagery
- Mindfulness meditation
- Mindful gentle yoga, suitable for all levels of experience
- Mindful sitting, breathing, moving, eating, speaking and listening
- Mindful awareness of all the senses and the richness of the present moment
These programs are based on the University of Massachusetts Medical Center's MBSR program, which was developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979 and has since been successfully used around the world to help people mobilize their own inner resources for healing. Research on MBSR programs, which are typically used in both medical settings and wellness centers, shows that MBSR helps people manage both daily stress and stress of chronic conditions, both physical and emotional. We welcome anyone interested in mind-body practices to explore MBSR with us. No previous MBSR or mind-body practice experience is required.
The 8-week program consists of weekly two and a half-hour sessions via Zoom, facilitated by Toni Reiss. Sessions are held in a small and open group environment. While no prior experience in MBSR or any form of mind body work is needed, you must be willing to commit to weekly training sessions and 40 minutes of daily home practice in between classes.
We are currently taking registrations for the program beginning March 29.