The application procedure for all applicants to the Accelerated BSN (Second degree, MedVet and LPN) is detailed below. Applications to UK for the Fall 2023 class will open October 15 and close March 1, 2023.
For more information about the ABSN track, visit the ABSN program page.
General admission requirements for all applicants:
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale for all applicants
Science GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale for all applicants. All applicants must have a minimum grade of “C” in each of the following natural science courses prior to applying:
- Human Anatomy (three credits)
- Human Physiology (three credits)
- General Biology (three credits)
- General Chemistry course equivalent to CHE 103 at UK or one year/two semesters of General Chemistry
- General Psychology (three credits) or Developmental Psychology equivalent to PSY 223 at UK
- Composition and Communication courses equivalent to CIS 110 and 111 or CIS 112 at UK
The following courses are not required for admission to the program, but must be completed before an applicant's first semester of nursing:
- General Microbiology course equivalent to BIO 208 at UK with a minimum grade of “C”
- Nutrition course equivalent to DHN 212 at UK with a minimum grade of “C”
- Statistics course equivalent to STA 210, STA 296, or BST 230 at UK with minimum grade of “C”
- Please note: Only the best grade for courses that have been repeated is used when determining admission GPAs for all applications received June 1, 2022 and later.
Admission requirements dependent on applicant's background:
Second degree applicants:
- Completion of a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree
- Completion of all UK Core requirements; Second-degree students meet this requirement by virtue of the first degree
- Completion of Army Medical Specialist (68W), Navy Corpsman or Air Force Medical Specialist training
- Completion of all UK Core requirements
- Review of JST and CLEP for academic transfer credit with UK’s Veterans Resource Center and the Transfer Equivalency Office
- At this time, the UK College of Nursing cannot admit students through the AECP or NECP commissioning programs.
- For information regarding using your GI Bill, contact the VetSuccess campus counselor at (859) 218-2876
- Completion of LPN from a regionally accredited institution and having a current active license to practice
- Completion of all UK Core requirements
How to apply
Currently enrolled at UK in Spring 2023:
To apply for Fall 2023, complete the following survey/application: UK College of Nursing ABSN Application Fall 2023 for Currently Enrolled Students
(If that link does not work, try copying the following link in your web browser: https://redcap.uky.edu/redcap/surveys/?s=HL47HN93PH3E3MT3)
Currently NOT enrolled at UK in Spring 2023:
To apply for Fall 2023, go to admission.uky.edu/apply, choosing ABSN as your first major.
Please note: If you are new to UK, select “Transfer Admission” application. If you are returning to UK, select “Readmission” application.
- August 15 for spring semester
- March 1 for fall semester
Interviews are conducted via an online platform. Applicants will need a computer with a camera to record responses to video questions. Applicants will receive an email invitation to complete the interview after their initial screening for course and GPA requirements. There is a $50 fee for the interview, payable by credit card. Instructions will be included in the invitation. Applicants not selected for an interview will also be notified that they will not be considered further.
Final admission decisions
Final decisions will be sent via email. Please be sure all contact information is correct on the application forms.
The TOEFL, administered online, is required of all applicants for whom English is not their native language. Minimum scores accepted are:
- Cumulative – 90
- Speaking – 26
- Listening – 22
- Writing – 20
- Reading – 22
Applicants must submit this TOEFL score directly to CON by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org in addition to completing the UK Admissions application. If the applicant's degree is from a foreign institution, they must submit an evaluation by WES or one of the other admission services directly to UK Admissions as part of the application.
For any questions, please contact email@example.com.