WHAT IS koru?
Koru Mindfulness is an evidence-based program specifically designed with college students in mind to help in the reduction of stress and anxiety while also increasing one's sleep and self compassion. Participants will learn specific skills that help calm and focus their mind, including breathing exercises, guided imagery, body scan, and more!
join a koru class
An introduction to mindfulness and meditation. Taught as a weekly, 75-minute class over four weeks by a trained Koru Instructor. To learn register for Koru Basic go here or to https://recwellservices.uky.edu/.
An “advanced” class for participants who have competed Koru Basic and are eager for more mindfulness. This course also consists of a weekly, 75-minute classes taught over four weeks by a trained Koru Instructor.
Mindful Moments drop-in classes
Perfect for those individuals wanting to see what all the talk about Koru is, as well as, participants who have completed a Koru course but are looking for instructor-led opportunities to continue their mindfulness practice.
A half-day silent, mindfulness retreat for students wanting to try an immersive mindfulness experience.
HERE IS WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT...
- Following the registration of your KORU class your receipt will have a link connecting you directly to the KORU instructor dashboard. Please take the time to log in to the course prior to your first offering. This will not only allow the instructor to communicate directly to you but will also provide you FREE access to the KORU web app.
- Don't forget to download the course textbook: "The Mindful Twenty Something. Life Skills to Handle Stress . . . and Everything Else", by Holly B. Rogers, MD. Available here online for all UK Students, Faculty, and Staff.
To learn more about the benefits of koru mindfulness...
- Visit www.korumindfulness.org
- Holly Rogers, MD's research article, "Randomized Controlled Trial of Koru: A Mindfulness Program for College Students and Other Emerging Adults", accessible at www.korumindfulness.org/evidence/
- Course textbook: "The Mindful Twenty Something. Life Skills to Handle Stress . . . and Everything Else", by Holly B. Rogers, MD. Available here online for all UK Students, Faculty, and Staff.
more mindful opportunities...
The UK Counseling Center's Resource Hub and Connection for all things Mindfulness at UK, in the local area, and online can be found here.
The University of Kentucky is working toward having multiple relaxation stations on campus. The goal of the relaxation station is to provide a FREE walk-in service to all students. For more information about the Counseling Center's Relaxation room go here.
The Johnson Center Relaxation Station is a FREE walk-in service available to all members during regular operating hours. Enjoy the free massage chair or connect with a wellness staff member to use the HeartMath Inner Balance App. Simply clip the sensor to your ear and connect it to your device using bluetooth. Research conducted by HeartMath shows that using this technology can help you:
- Be less reactive, think clearly and make good decisions
- improve health, stamina and well-being
- maintain personal balance and avoid stress and burnout
- maximize creativity and innovation
- boost performance and overall intelligence
- control health rhythms to achieve the optimal performance zone (outside of the stress zone)
- transform the physiological response to stress and quickly re-balance mind, body, and emotions for greater intelligence, creativity, and decision making ability and communication skills.