What is the outdoor referral program?
Recognizing not all fitness happens indoors, the Outdoor Referral Program is a collaborative between Student Wellness Coaching and Outdoor Pursuits to reduce the barriers students have to being active in Central Kentucky.
Research from Cornell Health has shown that time spent in nature is good for your overall health and well-being, leading to many health providers across the world prescribing nature as a prescription to good health. In fact, time spent in nature has been shown to:
- Improve your ability to concentrate
- Positively influence your mood and overall happiness
- Reduce stress
- Increase social connections
- Boost physical health
HERE IS WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT...
Those referred to wellness coaching wishing to increase their physical activity through nature will be enrolled in the Outdoor Referral Program. The student and the wellness coach will work together to determine which of the following prescribed outdoor referral programs is right for them.
- Outdoor Navigation: A complimentary one on one session with the Outdoor Pursuits staff to learn more about incorporating nature into their daily life. In this 45-minute session, the Outdoor Pursuits staff member will work with the student to access and reduce any barriers students might have to getting connected to the many parks and outdoor adventures in Central Kentucky. The goal of Outdoor Navigation is to increase one's self efficacy in connectivity to nature.
- Outdoor Engagement: A complimentary guided walking tour with the Outdoor Pursuits staff to identify your priorities and create a realistic action plan to increasing active living in nature.
- Outdoor Pursuits: For those desiring a social connection while exploring the great outdoors but have not known where to start will be enrolled in a one-day adventure trip based on their interests. Adventure trips will vary based on interests, time of year, and scheduling.