The Office of Sustainability partners with the Student Sustainability Council and the Tracy Farmer Institute for Sustainability and the Environment (TFISE) to provide exciting and meaningful undergraduate internship opportunities.
2019-2020 Position Descriptions
Urban Forest Initiative: The Urban Forest Initiative (UFI) connects people to the urban forests of UK campus, Lexington and the Bluegrass Region through community outreach, research and education.
- Assist with outreach and education projects, represent UFI at campus and community events, and engage with the public through social media.
- Work in partnership with the UFI core team and working group members within the Lexington community to elevate the visibility and health of the urban forest in our community.
- Develop an independent project that builds on the intern’s skills and interests while enhancing some aspect of the urban forest canopy or the public’s engagement with it.
Waste Reduction - Recycling and Reuse: This intern will assist the University Recycling Coordinator with a wide variety of waste reduction initiatives including recycling, reuse and composting.
- Develop outreach efforts including social media accounts, website updates, tabling and print media.
- Other tasks relating to waste reduction initiatives on campus.
- Develop an independent project focused on improving waste reduction on campus working in partnership with the University Recycling Coordinator, Sustainability Coordinator and other stakeholders
Energy - Efficiency and Conservation: This intern will assist the University Energy Engineer with the implementation of energy efficiency and conservation projects.
- Assist with data collection and analysis.
- Develop an independent project focused on improving efficiency and conservation relative to campus energy use in partnership with the University Energy Engineer, Sustainability Coordinator and other stakeholders.
Built Environment: The Built Environment Working Group is an interdisciplinary group with collaborations throughout campus and the broader community, focused on bringing sustainable design to areas of Lexington.
- Support planning and coordination of special events, such as Design Week
- Document and promote Design Week activities on social media
- Collect material for website and photograph and video tape Design Week activities
- Collect survey data, transcribe interviews and written reflections
- Must be comfortable generating graphic communications
- Develop an independent project that builds upon the intern’s skills, interests, and career goals while enhancing the Built Environment Working Group’s efforts
Arboriculture: Brand new internship for the 2019-2020 academic year! This position is perfect for students who are interested in trees and urban forest management. Get direct experience learning about the care and management of UK's tree canopy.