The Office of Sustainability partners with the Student Sustainability Council and the Tracy Farmer Institute for Sustainability and the Environment (TFISE) to provide exciting and meaningful undergraduate internship opportunities.
Now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 Sustainability Internship Cohort
To apply, complete this webform. You may apply for more than one position, but you must complete a new webform entry for each position.
2020-2021 Position Descriptions
Urban Forest Initiative: The Urban Forest Initiative (UFI) connects people to the urban forests of UK campus, Lexington and the Bluegrass Region through community outreach, research and education.
- Assist with outreach and education projects, represent UFI at campus and community events, and engage with the public through social media.
- Work in partnership with the UFI core team and working group members within the Lexington community to elevate the visibility and health of the urban forest in our community.
Waste Reduction - Recycling and Reuse: This intern will assist the University Recycling Coordinator with a wide variety of waste reduction initiatives including recycling, reuse and composting.
- Develop outreach efforts including social media accounts, website updates, tabling and print media.
- Other tasks relating to waste reduction initiatives on campus.
Energy - Efficiency and Conservation: This intern will assist the University Energy Engineer with the implementation of energy efficiency and conservation projects.
- Assist with data collection and analysis.
- Work with Univserity NEergy Engineer with the implementation of energy efficiency and conservation projects.
Built Environment: The Built Environment Working Group is an interdisciplinary group with collaborations throughout campus and the broader community, focused on bringing sustainable design to areas of Lexington.
- Work with the Built Environment Working Group on new design projects and competitions
- Collect survey data, transcribe interviews and written reflections.
- Must be comfortable generating graphic communications.
Arboriculture: Brand new internship for the 2019-2020 academic year! This position is perfect for students who are interested in trees and urban forest management. Get direct experience learning about the care and management of UK's tree canopy.
Tracy Farmer Institute for Sustainability and the Environment: TFISE is a cross-college institute at UK under the Office of Research. The goal of TFISE is to facilitate interdisciplinary efforts and to support transformative new advances in a broad array of environmental and sustainability issues.
- Support the TFISE and working groups through social media management.
- Report to the Office of Sustainability and work with the Sustainability Programming Coordinator on various projects.