What is Car Sharing?
Car sharing is a low-cost, short-term car rental option with an hourly rate for use of a car. UK Transportation Services has partnered with Zipcar to offer car sharing on campus. Unlike traditional car rental services, the minimum age allowed to use the car sharing program is 18.
Car sharing is a great option for those who don’t have cars on campus, those who regularly use alternative transportation, and those who want to avoid wear and tear on their vehicle. It can be used for quick trips - to the grocery store, to off-campus meetings or to explore Lexington - as well as for longer journeys.
Benefits of Car Sharing
- Cost savings - you save money on insurance, skip parking permit fees, maybe even save on the cost of buying a car!
- Saves time - with car sharing, you don't need to spend time on car cleaning or maintenance; all that's included in the cost of membership. The Zipcars have designated, easily accessible parking spaces on campus for easy pick-up and return.
- Environmental benefits - fewer cars on the road equals less congestion and less pollution, which benefits everyone.
- Everything's included - unlike with traditional car ownership, the little things don't add up when it comes to car sharing. The rate includes gas, insurance, maintenance and up to 180 miles of driving per day.
- Just one piece of the puzzle - car sharing is just one part of the suite of the alternative transportation options available to the UK community.
UK students can join Zipcar for $15 per year, and UK employees for $25 per year. Rates start as low as $7.50 per hour and $69 per day. Gas, maintenance, insurance, and up to 180 miles of driving per day are included in Zipcar rates.
How It Works
Car sharing through Zipcar is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for students, faculty, and staff ages 18 and older, and members of the local community ages 21 and older. Cars can be reserved for as little as an hour or for multiple days.
Several vehicles are available on UK's campus. The Zipcars have designated parking spots located in the Woodland Avenue Lot, student center lot and Greg Page Apartments area for convenient pick-up and return.
Gas is included with every reservation, no matter how long the trip is or how far you drive. A gas card is included in the car. Cars must have at least 1/4 tank of gas left for the next member.
Zipcar membership is universal, so UK students and employees who join are also able to rent cars anywhere that Zipcar is available.
Car sharing at UK is easy - just follow these steps.
1. Apply online at www.zipcar.com/uky. Once approved, Zipcar will send you your Zipcard.
2. Book a Zipcar for as little as 1 hour or as long as 7 days. You may make reservations through www.zipcar.com/uky or the Zipcar mobile app.
3. Hold your Zipcard to the car's windshield to unlock, or use the app to unlock the car remotely.