Cash Out Program
The Cash Out program financially rewards employees who choose to forgo bringing a motor vehicle to campus for one year. Its purpose is to reduce the number of single-occupancy motor vehicle trips to, from and around campus, and to promote modes of transportation that save money, foster healthier lifestyles and have lower environmental impacts.
Qualified employees who elect to participate will each receive up to $200 over a one-year period, which will be divided evenly on each paycheck. Participants will have the opportunity to renew for the following year if they would like to continue their participation. This program is part of a suite of alternative transportation options available to the UK community that also includes the BluPass partnership with Lextran, the Bike Voucher program, and the Big Blue Cycles fleet for residential students.
How It Works
The Cash Out program operates on the fiscal year (July 1 to June 30). Participants who enroll after the start date will receive a prorated amount. Program participants also receive 10 complimentary single-day permits that may be used when participants must bring a motor vehicle to campus. They also have the opportunity to purchase up to 40 additional single-day permits per fiscal year.
The financial rewards of the Cash Out program extend well beyond $200. Over the enrollment period, individuals would also benefit from substantial cost savings associated with not purchasing a parking permit, as well as reduced fuel and maintenance expenses. Those who choose walking or bicycling as their primary mode of transportation may also realize reduced health-related costs.
Transportation Services will soon be accepting applications for the Cash Out program. Apply online now.
Applications will be reviewed in mid-May, and Transportation Services will notify recipients on a rolling basis. Interested employees are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. UK employees who qualify and are selected will be notified via email and will need to attend a short program orientation in order to begin receiving cash back.
- Sign a car-free commitment that prohibits the purchase of a vehicle parking permit for one year. Participants may still purchase a limited number of single-day permits.
- Priority will be given to employees who have had a vehicle parking permit for the past fiscal year (July 1 - June 30), but those new to the university - who started in February 2018 or later - will also be given consideration.
- Enrollment is not transferable.
- Only employees with main campus assignments are eligible. Those who work at any of UK’s outlying offices where permits are not required for parking may not apply.
- Only staff who work weekday, daytime shifts are eligible.
- Employees with temporary work assignments must have a work assignment end date of at least two years later than the date of incentive issue to be considered for the program.
- Employees must be employed in a taxable position and receive a regular paycheck.
- Participants must attend a short program orientation covering alternative mobility options, as well as campus and community resources for commuters. Missing orientation without rescheduling or notice may lead to removal from consideration.
- Participants suspected of engaging in fraudulent behavior may be subject to further restrictions, repayment of the cash received, removal from the program and future disqualification from other alternative transportation programs.
- If participants stop receiving a paycheck (i.e. unpaid leave, Family Medical Leave, etc.), they will forfeit their cash out incentive for that pay period.
- Bi-weekly employees will not receive the cash out incentive on the third paycheck of the month during months that have three pay periods.
- Participants are limited to one iteration of one alternative transportation incentive program. This means that you could do either Cash Out or Bike Voucher, but not both.