Visitor Parking Options
As a visitor on campus, you have a variety of parking options:
Temporary Visitor Passes
Temporary passes (also called single day permits) cost $6.50 each, payable by cash, check (with driver's license), or credit card. They are not valid for entrance into gated parking facilities and must be displayed in the lower left-hand side of the windshield, on the driver's side and in clear view so that the expiration date is visible. These passes can be purchased at any of the following locations:
- Press Avenue Garage (PS #6, 721 Press Avenue)
- UK HealthCare Garage (110 Transcript Avenue)
There are over 200 parking meters located throughout campus, providing a quick and easy parking option. Most meters allow individuals to pay quickly via their smartphone.
Please note that a valid UK parking permit does not authorize you to park at campus meters without paying. Some lots have a centralized payment area, such as the William T. Young Library Lot and the Gatton Student Center Lot. At these locations, individuals can pay the central meter and park anywhere in the lot. In other campus locations, such as the Prall Street lot, you must park in front of the meter; paying a meter does not authorize you to park elsewhere in the lot.
Visitor parking is also available in several garages on campus, including:
- Cornerstone Garage (PS #5): Cornerstone Garage has an entrance and exit on South Limestone and on Upper Street. The cost for parking is $2 per hour with a $16 per exit maximum. Cornerstone Garage is free and open to the public on weekends, beginning at 7 p.m. Friday through 10 p.m. Sunday. Overnight parking is also permitted on Friday and Saturday nights, but all vehicles must exit the garage before 10 p.m. on Sunday. Parking for large groups must be arranged through Transportation Services' Special Event Coordinator. Events are scheduled on a first-come first-served basis, and advanced registration is required.
- Sports Center Garage (PS #7): The Sports Center Garage is located off Sports Center Drive. The cost of parking is $2 per hour, with a $16 per exit maximum. Overnight parking is not allowed in this structure unless it is pre-approved, including on weekends. Parking for large groups must be arranged through Transportation Services' Special Event Coordinator. Events are scheduled on a first-come first-served basis, and advanced registration is required.
Visitor parking is available in the following lots on campus for $2 per hour:
- Bill Gatton Student Center Lot: Located off Avenue of Champions
- W.T. Young Library Visitor Lot: Located off Hilltop Avenue
It's relatively easy to park on UK's campus on the weekends. Most employee lots and student commuter lots are accessible and available on weekends. With only a few exceptions, parking permits are not required after 3:30 p.m. on Friday until 5 a.m. on Monday.
ADA Accessible Parking
Spaces for visitors with disabilities are located throughout campus in close proximity to entrances of University buildings, and are available to visitors with special needs. These spaces, however, do require an ADA accessible permit issued by Transportation Services or a gate attendant. If you need assistance locating ADA accessible parking, please contact our office.
Residence Hall Visitors
If you're visiting a student living in a residence hall, your student host must provide you with a guest parking permit that allows temporary parking in the spaces marked for residence halls. Guest parking permits are available at the Transportation Services' main office during regular business hours. Temporary passes will be issued on a space available basis in the residence hall parking area or to the next closest parking area.
If you need to load or unload large or heavy items, please request a service permit that will allow your vehicle to stand in any yellow-and-white striped area for up to 45 minutes for purposes of loading or unloading. After that time, your vehicle must be moved to a regular parking area or parking meter.
Please Keep in Mind:
- Display your visitor pass correctly or insert the appropriate amounts of money in the meter.
- Lock your vehicle while on campus
- Allow plenty of time; you may have to walk farther than you expected.
- Read and pay attention to the signs at the entrances to parking lots.
- Use the intra-campus transportation system for free.
- Don't park in an ADA accessible space or restricted area or space without appropriate permits.
- Don't park on red or yellow lines or curbs, blue curbs, or striped areas unless your permit has been authorized for those areas.
- Please don't assume that because other vehicles are parked illegally that you may do so.