MenuMenu Image

Resources Available to Students

Bias Incident Support Services

Bias Incident Support Services (BISS) provides confidential support and advocacy for any student, staff, or faculty member impacted by bias, hatred, and/or an act of identity-based violence. BISS staff aid impacted parties in accessing campus and community resources, including the Bias Incident Response Team, the University’s official reporting system for acts that negatively impact a sense of belonging. Campus and community consultation and educational opportunities centered on inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging is a resource also provided by BISS. For more detailed information please visit the BISS website or contact them via email.

Counseling Center

The UK Counseling Center (UKCC) provides a range of confidential psychological services to students enrolled in 6 credit hours or more, psychoeducational outreach programming (including QPR suicide prevention), and consultation to members of the UK community (students, faculty, staff, administrators, parents, concerned others). Please visit the UKCC’s website for more detailed information or call (859) 257-8701.

Martin Luther King Center

The Martin Luther King Center (MLKC) supports an inclusive learning environment where diversity and individual differences are understood, respected, and appreciated as a source of strength. The MLKC’s year-round programs and activities that focus on the importance of cultural awareness and cross-cultural understanding support its three primary goals: 1) sponsoring cultural and educational programming; 2) offering opportunities for student support and development; and 3) through programmatic linkages with a wide variety of civic and community agencies, promoting community outreach, engagement, and collaboration. Students can reach the MLKC via phone at (859) 257-4130, by visiting them in Gatton Student Center Suite A230, via email, and by visiting the MLKC website.

If there are aspects within your experience here at UK that result in barriers to your inclusion or accurate assessment of achievement, please notify the instructor as soon as possible and/or contact the Office for Institutional Diversity via email.

Office of LGBTQ* Resources

UK is committed to supporting students and upholding the University’s efforts to promote inclusion among our community. UK faculty and staff employees support inclusion and diversity throughout the University, including the ways in which faculty structure classroom conversations and manage those dynamics. To assist in these efforts, students are welcome to provide the names and pronouns they prefer. One easy way to do this is by using the pronoun feature of UK’s Name Change Form. (More information about the form can be found on the Office of LGBTQ*’s website.) Otherwise, students can provide this information to faculty members directly.

Discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender expression, and gender identity is prohibited at UK. If you have questions about support, advocacy, and community-building services related to sexual orientation, gender expression, or gender identity, students are encouraged to visit the website of the Office of LGBTQ* Resources.

Veterans Resource Center (VRC)

Being both a member of the military community and a student can bring some complexities. If you are a member of the military or a military veteran or dependent, please let me know when these challenges arise. Drill schedules, calls to active duty, mandatory training exercises, issues with GI Bill disbursement, etc. can complicate your academic life. Please let me know if you experience complications and I will do my best to work with you.

If you are a military student serving in the National Guard or Reserve it is in your best interest to let all of your professors know that immediately. You might also consider sharing a copy of your training schedule as well as any orders activating you. The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) can provide a letter for your professors validating your absence but be aware that there is no current UK policy protecting military students who miss class due to short term activations such as long weekend drills, annual training, or emergency activations. See the instructor or the VRC for details.

The VRC is a great resource for members of our military family. If you have questions regarding your VA benefits or other related issues, the VRC has a full complement of staff to assist you. The VRC also provides study and lounge space, as well as free printing. Please visit the VRC website, email the VRC, visit them in the basement of Erikson Hall, or call the director, Tony Dotson, at (859) 257-1148.

Violence Intervention and Prevention (VIP) Center

If you experience an incident of sex- or gender-based discrimination or interpersonal violence, we encourage you to report it. While you may talk to a faculty member or TA/RA/GA, understand that as a "Responsible Employee" of the University these individuals MUST report any acts of violence (including verbal bullying and sexual harassment) to the University's Title IX Coordinator in the IEEO Office. If you would like to speak with someone who may be able to afford you confidentiality, you can visit the Violence Intervention and Prevention (VIP) Center’s website (offices located in Frazee Hall, lower level; (859) 257-3574), the Counseling Center’s (CC) website (106 Frazee Hall; (859), and the University Health Services (UHS) website. (The VIP Center, CC, and UHS are confidential resources on campus.) The VIP Center accepts walk-in appointments.