Emergency Number: 911, Emergency Management Office 859-257-3815 or 859-257-6655

Campus Security Authorities

In addition to the campus Police Department, Campus Security Authorities must report any crimes or incidents that may be crimes that are reported to them. You are a Campus Security Authority if you fit any the following descriptions:

  1. Individuals with Campus Security Responsibility -- For example parking gate attendants, campus bus drivers, and campus safety escort staff.
  2. Designated Individuals -- Any individual or organization identified in the campus statement of Policies for Reporting Criminal Actions and Emergencies as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses. Campus administration must assign responsibility for receiving such reports. The statement must be included in the Annual Security Report. To see UK's Administrative Regulation, click here.
  3. Officials with Significant Responsibility for Student and Campus Activities -- campus officials who manage or otherwise oversee student and campus activities, examples include, staff responsible for campus student housing, a student center, or student extra-curricular activities; a director of athletics or a team coach; faculty advisors to student groups; staff responsible for student discipline; Each campus must identify these individuals. The Clery/Minger Act Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that they are aware of their responsibilities and report periodically.

If you are a Campus Security Authority you must report unless you are one of those for whom the regulations define as exempt.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is exempt from reporting?
Maintenance, support, and clerical staff are not considered campus security authorities. You are also exempt from reporting when you are acting as a pastoral or professional counselor. For this purpose:
  1. A Pastoral Counselor is a person who (a) is associated with a religious order or denomination, (b) is recognized by that religious order or denomination as someone who provides confidential counseling, and (c) is functioning within the scope of that recognition as a pastoral counselor.
  2. A Professional Counselor is a person (a) whose official responsibilities include providing mental health counseling to members of the institution's community and (b) who is functioning within the scope of his or her license or certification.
Other persons who have significant responsibility for student and campus activities are not exempt from reporting if they counsel or advise students and employees, even if they do so in confidence.
What crimes must I report?
The Daily Crime Log and Annual Security Report must include statistics on fourteen types of crime:
  1. Arson
  2. Criminal Homicide - (A) Murder and Non-Negligent Manslaughter, and (B) Negligent Manslaughter ;
  3. Sex Offenses - (A) Sex Offenses (Rape and Fondling) and (B) Other Sex Offenses (Statutory Rape and Incest);
  4. Robbery;
  5. Aggravated Assault (Clery) and Assaults - all (Minger);
  6. Burglary;
  7. Motor Vehicle Theft;
  8. Arson;
  9. Menacing
  10. Wanton Endangerment
  11. Terroristic Threatening
  12. Dating Violence
  13. Domestic Violence
  14. Stalking
  15. Theft
  16. Criminal Damage to Property
  17. Arrests and Disciplinary Referrals for liquor law violations, drug law violations, and illegal weapons possession; and
  18. Hate Crimes.

The attempts to commit any of these crimes must also be reported.

The Division of Crisis Management and Preparedness is the campus office designated to oversee Clery/Minger Compliance and will ensure that crimes are properly classified. For definitions of each crime, click here.

How do I know what to report?

You must report all allegations of crimes that you determine are made in good faith. Although the compliance office or law enforcement personnel may conclude after further investigation that some allegations are not substantiated by the facts or the law, you must report information that is a reported to you. Neither a formal police report nor an investigation is needed in order for a crime report to be included in the daily crime log or annual statistics.

Definitions of the crimes are available by clicking here, or contacting the Divison of Crisis Management and Preparedness or the University Police. The Division of Crisis Management and Preparedness has final responsibility for assigning the crimes to the correct reporting categories and geographical areas. Your responsibility is to provide as accurate and complete a description as possible of what happened, including the location and whether the victim or alleged perpetrator was a student.

If the crime has already been reported to another Campus Security Authority or to Police you need not report the incident again. If in doubt, report it and the Clery/Minger Act Coordinator will attempt to eliminate duplicate reports.

What about confidentiality?

The crime statistics included in the Annual Security Report and daily crime log do not include any information that would identify the victim or the person accused of committing the crime. Your report to the Clery/Minger Act Coordinator should not include personally identifying information.

If you are a pastoral counselor or professional counselor, when you think it appropriate, you may tell a person you are counseling about campus procedures for reporting crimes confidentially for inclusion in the annual disclosure of crime statistics even if the person does not want to press charges or participate in an investigation. Procedures for reporting crimes confidentially must be included in the Annual Security Report.

Where should I send reports?
You should report the crimes and disciplinary referrals that have been brought to your attention to the Office of Crisis Management and Preparedness. To obtain a form, click here. Once completed, e-mail (cmp@uky.edu) or fax (257-4143) to the Division of Crisis Management and Preparedness.
How do I take the CSA on line training?
The UK web based CSA training is available in the training section of MyUK. More information is available here.
Where can I get more information and advice?
You can get more information from the Division of Crisis Management and Preparedness by calling (859) 257-9567 or emailing cmp@uky.edu.

Campus Security Authority: Report a Crime

University of Kentucky CSA Report Form

Copyright © 2010 University of Kentucky: An Equal Opportunity University
A division of Campus Services · Comments to: Webmaster · Site Map
Page last updated: November 19, 2014