About the Agriculture Residential College
The Agriculture Residential College is a unique opportunity for students majoring in Agriculture to live and learn together. Students in the AgRc will learn about the value and impact that Agriculture has on the foundation of our civilization. In addition, through programs, field trips, and faculty interaction both inside and outside of the classroom, students will explore the various careers in the Agriculture industry.
The Agricultural Residential College is looking for first year students who are highly motivated and interested in becoming leaders in the local and global community. The Agriculture Residential College (AgRC) is open to students pursuing a major within the College of Agriculture including the School of Human Environmental Sciences. Majors include:
- Agricultural Biotechnology
- Agricultural Economics
- Animal Sciences
- Biosystems Engineering
- Career and Technical Education
- Community & Leadership Development
- Equine Science and Management
- Family Science
- Food Science
- Horticulture, Plant and Soil Science
- Hospitality Management and Tourism
- Human Nutrition
- Landscape Architecture
- Merchandising, Apparel & Textiles
- Natural Resources & Environmental Science
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Pre-Veterinary Program (this is not a degree program)
- Undeclared Agriculture and Human Environmental Sciences
Through participation in a Agriculture Residential College, a student will develop the following:
- Students in the Agriculture Residential College will be able to explain the connections between various majors in the College of Agriculture and School of Human Environmental Sciences.
- Students in the Agricultural Residential College will have a deeper understanding of the agricultural field through interaction with college administration, faculty and staff, and fellow students and other community-related activities.
- Students will learn the importance of networking and social responsibility to develop themselves on a personal and professional level.
- As a result of participation in the Agricultural Residential College, students will demonstrate a high level of academic achievement as indicated through GPA, retention rate, and graduation rate.
All students who participate in AgRC will reside in Woodland Glen II located in the south campus neighborhood.
Students participating in the AgRC are required to enroll in the corresponding section of UK 101: Academic Orientation. This course is designed to introduce first-year students to the intellectual life at the University of Kentucky.
Beyond the residential and academic experience, students who enroll in the Ag Residential College can expect to participate in programs in and outside of the residence hall such as:
- Local Foods BBQ, which highlights locally (Kentucky) produced food; includes a tour of the organic farming area on the Horticulture Research Farm; networking opportunity with faculty within the Sustainable Agriculture major
- International AG Night-highlights agriculture and food in different countries; students prepare a presentation on agriculture in their chosen country as well as associated food
- And much more!!!!
For additional information about the Agriculture College please check out the following link http://www2.ca.uky.edu/academics/ or contact :
Jamie R. Dunn, M.S.
Director of First Year Success
Agriculture Residential College Coordinator
College of Agriculture Advising Resource Center
University of Kentucky
N8 Agricultural Science Building North
Lexington, KY 40546-0091
(859) 257-3468 Phone
(859) 323-8495 Fax